A Modder Question: Why does the TES modder community seem to favor...

PirateDragon

18 members have voted

1. 1. I would rather...

• Create a gameplay modification not an adventure. (Race, class, rules, items, etc.)
    • Create a new adventure within the existing SP game.
    • Create a new adventure outside of the existing SP game.

Personally, I think Skyrim is the least interesting of the TES IPs lorewise. I've never been a fan of snow or rugged people in harsh conditions...the whole tundra thing is just boring. While Skyrim as a game is better built than Oblivion, I tend to favor Oblivion for the visuals. I would love to see some modding done that brings the flora of Oblivion into the Skyrim game so that we can make some new areas that are more lush and warmer.

I know one of the first new world spaces that I'm going to try to create will be a pirate island...although I'm sure the Skyrim resources are going to be a little light on palm trees and giant ferns...here's hoping the modding community gets very busy at the end of the month.

I am a dungeon-builder and quest-coder, and have trouble understanding modders who are not. I get much more enjoyment out of exploring a new place or doing a new activity then I get out of gawking at a new item. I remember when the first video games came out, it was all about the play-value. Graphics were of minimal importance. The first game had two colors. Some later games had 8 colors. You would not believe how many hundreds of hours people spent enjoying games with graphics that by today's standards absolutely stunk.

So I get a hold of a program like TES CS and what is my first impulse? Build a dungeon! Build a quest! (Doesn't anyone else yearn to be the dungeon master?)

But on the other hand, a am a very task-oriented realist. Someone says, "I am starting a new modding project that will change every single aspect of the game and take place in a new worldspace." And I am like, "Yeah right. You and what army of modders are going to build this thing? Your project is going to fail." In general, you can depend on no one but yourself. People lie. People disappear. People get busy with real life. People turn out to be dreadful modders with no skill but lots of enthusiasm. So I tend to focus on small projects that I am certain I can complete in a timely fashion, even if I end up doing the whole thing all alone.

So for this reason many dungeon-builders and quest-coders build dungeons and quests in existing areas instead of new worlds. It just takes so very long to build a new world, that people can run out of time and enthusiasm and their projects can die.