dragon LOD issues

LoganGFX

ok, so I've done a dragon recolor for another member here, specifically the swamp dragon. I also recolored the matching LOD file as well. However, when using the recolor in-game, the LOD file seems to be the vanilla version, and the recolored dragon pops in when closer. Double checked a couple times, it shouldnt be doing this.

My question is, do the dragons all use one LOD file when far off, their own specific LOD when sorta close, and their main file up close(this is the only answer I can come up with)? I cant for the life of me figure this out.

How different is your recolour from the original? Are we talking green vs orange different or just a slight variation and tidied up a bit?

If it's the former, then you may have already answered your own question, so you may need to play with Skyedit or something like that and see if there are any paths or references

If it's the later, maybe what you are seeing is one of the 'mips' and not the main texture file until the dragon is up close and that's why it looks different

more the 'green vs orange'(in this case, the new recolor is sky blue, so the pop!change is really noticeable).

After a bit more experimenting, it seems I indeed answered my own question. My guess is that all dragons(I know for sure the swamp and frost dragons) use the 'dragonlod.dds' file as the distant one. Which makes less than no sense, seeing as it makes the individual LOD files useless..? I'm not a modder, though. I just enjoyed the recoloring aspect. So, if anyone has any knowledge in SkyEdit that can help fix this issue, please replay here or PM me so I can get this member's recolor for his upcoming mod working correctly.

Oh, and thank you for at least taking the time to try and help. I do appreciate it.

Texture information is stored in the mesh itself so you're going to have to check this out in NifSkope.

This is yet another "Data" issue in the game and may or may not be patched in the next few weeks when the January update comes out (assuming it's still on schedule).

Edited by MShoap13

This LOD stuff is really messed up......lol

dragon_swamp has its own LOD file which is named "dragon_swamp_lod.dds"

I'm 100% certain that it uses dragonlod.dds instead.

I'm trying now to figure out what *.NIF is mapped to the swamp dragon texture.

I opened each and every *.NIF in \meshes\actors\dragon and all nifs inside sub folders.

I can no where find where dragon_swamp_lod.dds is linked.

So now I'm trying to figure out a way just to create a fix for all dragons with LOD issues.

An official path will probably be out before I can do it though.

Chances are they never made the different meshes and they're all using the same mesh that uses the same texture.

Plugin delving in Skyrim.esm could confirm this and if so all you'd need to do is copy the one mesh, rename it, change the texture information to point to the right texture, copy the offending entries in Skyrim.esm to a plugin and modify them to point to the appropriate meshes.

From what I can see looking through the Dragon meshes, you may have just simply picked the wrong dragon colour to change ...

I can see 3 "farskin***.nif" files which I'm assuming is referring to dragons you see 'far' away ... From the texture references inside those .nifs, nothing references the swamp_lod file, and also there is no "farskin_swamp.nif" ...

Looking at the various dragon textures, the default 'dragon' texture and the 'swamp' texture are almost identical, the 'swamp' file is just a touch 'greener' so maybe Bethesda just got lazy (What?!?!? That never happens) and decided that, from a distance, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference ...

That's assuming of course that the game even uses the 'far' files, to find out that you'd need to do as suggested and poke around in the Skyrim.esm file ...

As a simple test, I'd change the colour of one of the other dragons (like snow dragon for instance) to a really bright green or pink, so it's REALLY noticeable in game and see if they change colour.