False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

Come to think of it, the string count in my save was abnormally low comparing to Oldrim. I mean, this concentration of mods should have much higher string count.
Maybe SSE handles forms somewhat differently, so it doesn't save so many strings in the save file, but the actual in-game number is... twice as big? In my experience, string count grows slowly. Like a hundred strings in an hour. I mean, if it fluctuates withing the game, what numbers are we talking about? 10,20, 30 thousands? It appears like... a lot.

Still, I'd actually like it to be the issue. It means it's fixable, like it did in Oldrim, even if it requires SKSE.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all things are coherent for me, and I am not medicated 8-0.

Top of line pc helps, those with lesser systems suffer more.

First, to directly anser your question compare your settings to the master, CrushBoss:

Skyrim.ini - http://pastebin.com/Ubt2z0jE
SkyrimPrefs.ini - http://pastebin.com/nWPGwZfk
SKSE.ini - http://pastebin.com/rg4P8bap
enblocal.ini - http://pastebin.com/aBEkLETh
enbseries.ini - http://pastebin.com/01zrFREW

Second,

here are some suggestions/quotes/notes

for all who are interested in my suggestions (reposted with a few updated parts):

(start of quote)
the following observations are from CrushBoss, he is my very best guru for mod optimization and troubleshooting. He is normally dead on in what he says. Please review and see if any of his comments may help you. :
A lot depends on several factors. What is the experience and expertise level of the player with Skyrim and modding it? If the person is fairly new to modding the game, a load order of 200 mods is way too heavy for that person. You have to start small and work your way up as you gain knowledge and experience. I'm currently on save game 1,864 with 157 hours played on my current playthrough of Skyrim. My game is smooth and I almost never CTD (once every 12 hours roughly). That's about as good as you can get with a heavy load order.
Players should only mod up to their experience level.
System specs matter a lot also.
I would also make sure that 100% of the mods the person uses are for Special Edition. Some of the 32-bit Skyrim mods will break SE.
Ther person should be using BethINI to configure her INI files. Choose se when you run it: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69787/?
I would start clean and leave out the following mod types:
scripted
lots of cell and/or worldspace changes
lots of meshes (many oldrim mods will break SE due to incorrect meshes)
The number one goal is to get a stable game and then build off a strong foundation!!! If you just throw 200 mods all together, good luck on finding the bad ones. I noticed that some peope are using several location overhauls. I would stay away from these (examples: Quieter Dungeons and Caves.esp, Solitude Expansion.esp, etc.)
I would drop Footprints for sure (scripted) and probably iNeed (you can try adding iNeed back in once you have a stable game). I would also drop all the bird and carriage mods and all mods that make a lot of cell and worldspace changes. EFF is really good as well as RDO.
Without a solid base the person will end up endlessly frustrated. Start small and build from there! Only install mods that you will use often and fit your playthrough goals (cut the rest)!

(end of quote)
My own notes: keep string counts below 30,000. I am seing corrupt saves at about 35,000. Need a lot more feedback on this. The resources recently posted have links to lists. here is a nugget from fresh research:
We tested the new Burma expaqnsion, it came in at 1624. That is the baseline. Once you visit it and start activating quests and interacting with world the count will increase, like any other sizable mod.

Yes, I have a very bad habit of running a lot of texture/armor/follower/city mods, and some of them are Oldrim only. I should probably see about their removal regardless. On a fresh save, new game, I'm running at 37,871 according to ReSaver. I feel 30K may be a bit unreachable for my addiction to mods, but will at least try. ;)

So I have 250 plugins (approx, some will get removed as I find new shinies to add) and sitting at 6,086 scripts and 98,909 script instances.. I'm assuming these are important as well?

Okay, another new face is joining the discussion. =)

I encountered the bug a while ago now and stopped modding for a few weeks because I couldn't figure it out. I now have re-build my mod list from scratch and it's almost finalized, all mods I want are installed and patched, no hickups, stutters, framedrops, CTDs whatsoever in game - but my saves get corrupted after about 15-20 minutes ingame. It's not that bad since I'm still in the testing process but I cannot actually start a new playthrough until this is resolved, obviously. The usual things like blank message boxes and malfunctioning dialogue appeared.

I tried asking for help over on the modding subreddit but as usual no one answered and I was downvoted, but luckily I found this thread here so I'd like to join you guys in trying to fix it. Below is everything important about my mod list etc:

SPECS:

Intel Core i5 7600k @4,2GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FE 8192MB

Corsair Vengeance 16GB Dual Kit RAM @3200MHz

Windows 10 64bit (Home)

Using Mod Organizer 2 & SSEEdit.

Here's my modwat.ch

Trying to open one of the save files with TESV ESS Files Editor results in an error. FallRim Resaver shows around 28k strings (so not critical) and around 4k scripts / 41k script instances.

Every single plugin was checked in xEdit. Mods with Form Version 43 were re-saved in the CK 2.0. Errors were resolved and deleted references were disabled. No LOOT and no Bashed Patch / Merged Patch since all conflict resolution has been done by hand resulting in over a hundred CR patches, merged together in TPF_MasterPatch.esp.

I do have SkyUI v2.2 installed, as well as the following mod outside MO2:

- xSHADOWMANx's Dll Loader

- Achievements Mods Enabler

- Keyboard Shortcuts Fix

- Skyrim Skill Uncapper

- meh321's DLL Loader

- SSE Fixes

- ShadowBoost

- ReShade

My guess would be that this is indeed an issue with the engine or something very specific and NOT caused by bad modding practices as tonycubed2 seems to think. Interesting is that only a handful of people appears to have this problem.

Evenshadefalling: nope, its bad modding practices . You have way too much crap. Over 300 mods, seriously? The pattern many of you have is a desire to have it all and then cry when the house of cards comes tumbling down. Sprinkled with a lavish amount of i cannot have it all then forget it.

When you want to,lose weight, do you listen to fat people? Not a one person in the SOT team has this issue.

Tony, I've read the entire thread and you're acting very entitled as if you were the only one who knows it all. I have no desire to join you in spreading toxicity so I'll just remind you that there are plenty of people running mod lists like mine without issues in both Skyrim and Fallout 4. Most experienced modders run mod lists waayyy above 300 mods that they have worked on over a long period of time.

Your arguments are valid when talking to people who run into problems with VRAM because of too many big retextures or into issues with scripts (like script lag / crashes / scripted mods stopping to function), BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE (sorry for the caps). You have written time and again that "no one in the Sands of Time team has this issue" while otherwise being not that helpful. By telling people with years of experience that they are basically idiots who know nothing, you are not leaving a good impression.

I'd rather discuss this with people who try to solve the issue.

...you are not leaving a good impression.

I'd rather discuss this with people who try to solve the issue.

He is trying to help, and as far as your VRAM comment, I'm running 8GB VRAM and mostly run 2K textures, have plenty to spare, so that should be moot.

Until exact specifics can be nailed down to the cause (some seem to believe the turn of the year update is directly associated with this issue) it's all just speculation. If someone runs a setup without issue, you should be able to assume that's a good baseline to start. You may have a unique issue, but that doesn't mean his advice is bad for everyone.

Just chill a bit and let's all see if we can figure something solid out.

"As far as your VRAM comment, I'm running 8GB VRAM and mostly run 2K textures, have plenty to spare, so that should be moot."

I think you got me wrong here. I'm saying that telling people their mod lists are too heavy is perfectly okay when they have, like 2 gigs of VRAM but run a ton of 4k textures. That's not understanding how textures / texture size / graphics memory work, that's a beginner's mistake. Whether VRAM has anything to do with this, I really couldn't say. I have 8GB of VRAM, too. As you said, it's all just speculation at this point.

In this specific case, it's not as simple as the aforementioned VRAM issue and even though this bug does not happen to him, doesn't mean that everyone who has it simply runs too many mods.

I'm just tired of reading that he's not getting this bug over and over, it's not helpful. See, things like mentioning strings is helpful. But my string count is way below the critical number so that's unlikely to be the culprit here. It also does not seem like the saves are actually borked (which can of course happen with bad modding practices). If they were truly broken, you wouldn't be able to load them after restarting the game.

By the way, has anyone tried to contact meh321 about this? He's probably our best bet with his knowledge about the game engine.

I understand what you're saying, yeah I initially misinterpreted.

I do question as to how you've got over 300 mods though because SE still limits the ESP count to 255. At least it did to me. NMM and Wrye Bash freaked out, and then SE refused to load any mods at that point. Unless you mean basic resolution mods, which I don't think require ESPs, but then you can pretty much boil all of those down to just one mod : graphical enhancement.

No clue about meh321, I read the first few pages, skipped to the end for the most relevant data, and forgot the rest.

Edited by Gothpunk4Christ