False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

No, Resaver tells me that non-existent instances are used by some mods so I shouldn't delete them, Which matches my experience, because one time i deleted them and the game wouldn't start at all. I was just looking through the strings and I came across that one and its message, and since something is going VERY WRONG with our games, I thought it might have a bearing. I don't have OBIS or SoT, so I don't know where it came from.

In other news, behippo doesn't read his forum messages very often, if at all. :(

Lethiel

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone.

I don't want to get your hopes up, as I'm new in this thread, as I have not found a solution to this bug either, I'm just another one of you who seems to be experiencing this infuriating bug.

I had a fresh install of SE (never played it before) at the end of December, no updating of any kind, and I've had this bug for as long as I've known when I was building my modded Skyrim.

I'm not an expert modder, but my gut feeling is it has to be something to do with scripts. The behavior of these glitches after the "save corruption" occurs seems to be Script going haywire. Dialogue going missing, Powers, books, or any dialogue prompt missing text, and the main noticeable thing for me is the AI of actors getting all wacky, which some people might not pick up on as much as the other problems (since Bethesda's vanilla AI has always been pretty questionable anyway).

I could obviously be wrong here, but I never had any of these issues in Oldrim, and I only ever played Oldrim with SKSE, and never before. That and, Papyrus seems to be doing a lot of work, not necessarily breaking, but maybe so many mods trying to do so many things, particularly in scripts, is causing something to fail along the line.

You could well be right. I don't think any of us here are experienced modders, and my attempts to engage the attention of such people have so far failed miserably. It seems very likely that scripts are the basic issue, and in that case maybe SKSE64 will alleviate the problem somewhat. I don't know what else will.

I've started again, saving every five minutes and whenever the Bug shows up going back to the previous save, and I'm still down to twenty minutes playing time before it pops up its little head again. My modlist is 219 at the moment, my saves are about 5 Mb in size, and I never had this problem (even with more mods and larger saves) before the last update in November or whenever it was. If you installed it fresh at the end of December, you would probably have got it with the problem already in place.

The thing that bugs me, as it were, is that it seems not to be a widespread problem, otherwise Bethesda would have had to address it, which they haven't as far as I know. So it's something that only affects a relative few of us, but it's not a specific mod or mods causing it, so what on earth is it???

Oh well. Another twenty-minute playing window, and then time to make food, I think.

Lethiel

I have a game with about 270 mods. I didn't want to start a new save, but I ended up doing it just to test this issue. The only mods I removed are Frostfall, iNeed, a Merged Patch I created with SSEEdit, and I replaced AFT with EFF instead. I don't think AFT is the culprit though as in my previous save, I removed it and still had the corrupt save issue even after cleaning my save, but it could be that mods like that ingrain themselves into saves a lot that it could cause these issues anyway.
I've played about 2 hrs and have not had a single corrupt save, but then again I haven't really done much at all, like looting corpses, or going into many different cells, or anything like that.

I'll see how it turns out.

Edited by ScarletStrider

Hi, everyone!

It was the same problem with my skyrim se mod compilation, which includes 223 active plugins and total 382 mods by now and yesterday I did two things:

1. deactivated SkyBirds
  2. turned on auto-ghost feature in Wrye Bash because it warned me about too big number of installed mods and offered turn on this option

So, I didnt start new game and continued my old save and since these fixes I havnt got corrupted saves! I dont know what exactly helped me and I'm afraid of further experiments:D

I use the auto ghost feature so that's never been a problem for me. How long have you been playing the game? Can you definitely tell the corrupt saves are gone entirely?

Unfortunately I've played about 4 hrs now and got the corrupt save bug again. I haven't played further to test if it keeps happening so I guess I'll see later.

I was considering deactivating skyBirds, so I guess I'll try that next as well.

I havent got enough time for long test and my game sessions last less than 3 hours, but until these fixes I could not play more than 20 minutes without saves corrupting and now I have 3 hours. I'll try to tell more definitely after weekends.

Well, I'm pretty sure I had this problem before I used SkyBirds. However, I used SkyTest and they seem to share some scripts.
Bethesda put a limit on a number of active mods on console not so long ago. 150 esp or something. I wonder if a big number of esp's can actually produce problems in SSE. Wrye Bash has this warning for ages, starting with the Oblivion, but I never actually had any problems with unchecked esp's before.

Phew, read through the whole thread. One thing I notice lacking from your troubleshooting attempts is comparing hardware setups. While this clearly seems fairly rare but also fairly consistent problem, could it possibly be something like graphics card memory related. Some sort of overflow which only occurs on specific graphic card. Or memory manufacturer. Or some of those fancy things, in general memory related.

One thing I've been wondering about the false corrupts is that what if the game tries to read the saves from a list it has built of them into memory on launch (or when first time accessing the saves list), finds the info missing, and decided it has to be corrupt, while actually the prebuild list was flushed or overwritten for some reason. It's entirely possible the userinterface buffers this while creating the w dow first time, and if on later attempt the file pointers become nul, the game sees what they point to (nowhere) as corrupt. Same thing could happen to dialogue, especially the disappearing dialogue options sound like it. The game is using information it thinks should be there, but finds it missing. That is, the game tries to use information it has buffered, but the buffer has gone *puff* for some reason. Hope that conveys what I mean. Does the flash interface have some limited amount of data it can homd at once? Does the bug occur if you avoid any kind of opening inventory, map etc? Does it ever occur before you've done at least one manual save? While I see autosave and quicksave have been avoided, has someone tested if the bug occurs when not touching saving at all? Or solely relies on autosaves? Swinging in the air, as someone said.

Edited by Alisu

Well, I don't know about flah interface. Fallout 4 doesn't have this problem, Oldrim never did. It is, however, seems that in our cases simply processing any kind of text does it. Crafting, SkyUI, even subtitles seem to affect the process. I have the Russian version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, but I've changed the system language to English. My specs are:

- Intel Core 2700k (3500GHz)
- 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (802 MHz)

- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

Bug can occur without saving manually or using the auto-save. I never tested if it occurs just when you standing there in an empty cell doing nothing, but it doesn't look like it. It looks like its intensity depends on interface activity on any kind: subtitles, menus, on-screen messages.