False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if it's a false "save corruption" or not but yesterday after many hours of playing (getting Auriel bow, doing Inigo quest, get a book in Silverdrift dungeon and change the house inventory between Windyridge and Rayek's end) I have experienced a CTD during an autosave (getting out of Rayek's end). Not a real problem because the game was perfectly stable during long hours before.

But this save and all the previous ones (the manual and auto) are not savable, not playable then. :confused:

I've fortunately found a manual save in Silverdrift who seems clean and continue with it. I believed that the heavy inventory managment was a save corruption cause but it don't seem the case finaly. ;)

Hello,

I have been following this thread for the last two to three weeks because I too have experience the empty dialogue boxes and the 'corrupted save' images in my load menu after the game starts to glitch out. I think that this is happening to many that just have not come forward...much like myself. Thank you for efforts in trying to figure out what is going on.

I've been lurking this thread for a while, because I also have the bug, and just wanted to chime in with some thoughts.

At first I thought this was caused by scripts, running a pretty script-heavy mod list myself, but after deactivating most script most (Frostfall, Skybird et al.) and still running into the bug I figured that it wasn't that.

Having read the thread, and I believe this was brought up before, it seems like the bug is being caused when there's a lot of strings. As a software/game engineering major, I think this might have something to do with some sort of string overload. Seems like the bug shows up when a lot of string are being loaded at once (Crafting Menu, Books, Script-Powers etc.).

I don't really have knowledge about the save format that Skyrim uses, but maybe the huge load of strings causes it to get corrupted somehow?

Dunno if this is helpful or not, just figured I'd throw it out there :tongue:

I think you may be right about the string. In Oldrim, SKSE was usually the go to method for modders with complicated mods to be able to configure them. Without this, a lot of modders go with the old way of using in-game ocnfigurable books, and powers, which use a lot more strings too I'm guessing, thus more likely that with a lot of mods, you'll get more strings, with all these configurable things.

Before SKSE was released in Oldrim, my only guess why this didn't happen much is because there was a lot less mods, and complex mods at that, around at the time.

Once again, this is just a guess though.

Thank *you*, ladycj! It's nice of you to say so. I can understand why some people don't make a fuss about it. it's easy to think "oh, it must be my fault for running so many mods, what did I expect" or, like a previous poster, "yes, we know the roof leaks, it's an old house, just step over the buckets," and there are, admittedly, more important things in life to worry about, but sometimes it is worth asking nicely if a problem can be fixed. We'll see what happens.

ScarletStrider and Raindene, I think you may definitely have a point there. The absence of MCM and the other benefits of SKSE is one of the biggest differences between Oldrim and SSE modding-wise, and may well have boosted the in-game string count over some sort of limit. I still think the problem arose after SSE was last updated, but that may well be a factor in it, as more and more formerly SKSE-dependent mods get rejigged to use books or powers. I was so glad to have Hunterborn back... :)

Lethiel

Just to prevent this thread from becoming one about ACTUAL corrupted saves - it is a known problem, yes. And saving in a wrong moment can crash your game and corrupt your save, so I get what tonycubed2 is talking about. And I never save in combat, rarely save when I see spawns at the horizon and only do that manually. However, this is about another problem. The game can spontaneously decide that all my saves are corrupted DURING gameplay. And the bulk of the problem is that the game is losing dialogue for NPC's until restarted. Which is infuriating and forces us to... right, save our game often as we restarting it every half of hour.

I'm glad that we established it as a known problem and actually attracted the attention of veteran modders =))

Well, this veteran modder does not agree that there are fake corrupted saves. I think it's all related . I use the radioactivity analogy, as in fallout 4. This is based on hundreds of hours missing over 6 years time.

A new game starts at radioactive level 0. Removing a scripted midgame gives you radioactivity jump of 25 points. Anything above 20 can cause corrupted saves . Removing a mod without scripts but that changes mod order is 15 points. Adding a mod midgame that changes modorder is 20 points. Adding it at the very end of the mod list only gets you 10 points. Upgrading a mod midgame that adds new data or scripts gives you 15 points if you maintain mod order , 25 if you do not. Low fps a lot because of too much stuff added is 8 poInts. Fps is important to skyrim mechanics. Adding a mod that checks headtracking every .5 seconds gives you 15 points.

My flag ship mod because I can't use skse yet adds 10 points, I cannot check if a menu Windows is open. Scripted mods should pause when player is in menu mode. Most do

Not.

This should give you an idea of my thinking.

I'm afraid there *are* fake corrupted saves. That is, there are saves that:

* show as corrupt when looked at in-game prior to quitting, but which

* do not show any corruption when examined with ReSaver, and which

* load up perfectly well when we reload the game,

* show as normal when looked at in-game immediately after reloading, and

* do not trigger the error message that says "this save is corrupt."

And this applies, once the Bug has manifested, to every single save right back to the first one in the playthrough, which frankly is implausible. I don't know what you would call that. We call it one symptom of a problem that has arisen in the last two or three months, which in your hundreds of hours over six years you might not have encountered.

I'm very sorry if I seem a little snippy, but you just told us that we do not know what we are talking about, and that tends to get my goat. Also, it has taken us all those two to three months to find someone who will believe that this problem is real and is not directly caused by us running too many mods, making stupid mistakes, not knowing about LOOT or Wrye Bash or SSEEdit, or having insufficiently powerful computers. We have covered all that. I'm sure your radioactivity analogy is very good, but in this case the problem is with the plumbing.

EDITed to make the long second sentence easier to follow.

Lethiel