False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

Well, I would love to, but as you see I have just started a new game (or tried to) and the Bug has not shown up again just yet. If you had asked me yesterday morning when I was getting corruption messages at five minute intervals...

However, I'm sure someone else here can provide a screen shot and maybe prove to you that we aren't all hallucinating. The image is horizontal stripes in various colour's with the letters "img" very large and pixellated in black over the top and the words "SAVE CORRUPT" over that, IIRC.

I have tried saving every five minutes, from a new game and thereafter. It doesn't make any difference. Your secret must be something else. :)

I'll be recovering the ground I lost last night for a while, but as soon as the Bug comes visiting, if Ramagast or Alisu or someone hasn't done it already, I will post screenshots of allegedly corrupt saves (before and after quitting and restarting), textless message boxes, curtailed dialogue options, and anything else that might convince you I am not babbling nonsense here. Since we obviously haven't managed that quite yet. :)

Lethiel

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. Just played three hours straight, killed the dragon for the jarl of morthal. I use deadly dragons, so tough fight. No issues. Level 21 so,far. Hmmm do you quixksave? I never quicksave.

Got the same bug / problem. Falsely flagged corrupt saves. Die - game won't load previous save. Check saves. Supposedly corrupt. Close game. Start game again and now can choose any past save to load!!! Does usually take a few saves before this happens. Very frustrating. Am using Sky UI 2.2 plus lots of mods including AFT. All mains files cleaned and LOOT used. Not a modder or dedicated gamer but Skyrim SSE is fun till it glitches. Sorry to offer no fixes just thought I'd add that others (me) are having same problem. Looking forward to seeing if there is fix. Will try to send info to Bethesda when I get time.

Forgot to say in last post that I also get a strange 'bug' in Steam. I think it happens at the same time as the false corrupt save issue but will have to check correlation is a completely matching one not a separate problem. When I shut game down after false corrupt save problem I can't immediately restart game (via NMM). Steam window pops up saying 'downloading Microsoft redistributable package'. This window hangs and game doesn't start. Have checked I have all x86 and x64 redistributable packages and all good. So I have to close Steam fully, restart it and I can then play the game again. Thought this might be helpful. Might just be a quirk of my system though.

Got the same bug / problem. Falsely flagged corrupt saves. Die - game won't load previous save. Check saves. Supposedly corrupt. Close game. Start game again and now can choose any past save to load!!! Does usually take a few saves before this happens. Very frustrating. Am using Sky UI 2.2 plus lots of mods including AFT. All mains files cleaned and LOOT used. Not a modder or dedicated gamer but Skyrim SSE is fun till it glitches. Sorry to offer no fixes just thought I'd add that others (me) are having same problem. Looking forward to seeing if there is fix. Will try to send info to Bethesda when I get time.

Hi, and, er, welcome to the club. :) Could you post a screenshot showing a save flagged as corrupt? I would, but as I said I can't right now. And do you also get blank message boxes and the rest of the symptoms?

Ok I'm going to call this the 'Birna's Oddments of messy corpses shop' test, (I won't go with the fact that it's a 'coc winterholdranmirshouse' location - because that's just sexists, as she does all the work and he just dosses around in the inn). Anyway I suspect location doesn't really matter, apart from a cell switch, for this test.

Note this is a test for people who have had the problem, (although It might be interesting for people who haven't to report their findings). (I.e. it's on an 'established character' build at 12 level for me, from a Live another Life start and who has done up to the first dragon having tramped thier way all around Skyrim, Mod load out is my normal of 253 mods, (some merged mods in there) - and no I don't change load order in game because. Anyway for this test I suspect we need people who have a build which has lived a little).

Find your way to Birna's Oddments, (or just coc winterholdranmirshouse)

console and 'tgm', (i.e. god mod).

console 'help bandit', (which will give you a list of bandits in the game)

console 'player.placeatme <one of the bandit numbers from above> 30. (i.e. spawn 30 - a totally arbitary number - bandits at you position).

Next bit is the fun bit - kill all the bandits - and probably Birna, (I use Hailstone).

Right, they are now all dead. Exit the shop, (I don't have autosave on - so that can be ruled out as an issue).

Then reenter the shop and start looking through the dead bandit's inventories and save every five looks. (don't touch just look). For long windedness I can get to around 10 before the I get a save corrupt, (however I have done 15 - so that might say something, (maybe a string allocation type thing? Mind it's 2017 why would text still be a problem?).

ps this is really consistent for me. So just wondering if it's the same with other people. i.e. Just trying to find the route cause and not wishing to tread on anybodies hard held beliefs. (Apparently that's what you have to say nowadays otherwise you get ....).

Okay. I'm now playing without SkyUI (and it's hell I tell you) and waiting for the Bug to show up naturally, if it's going to. (If this has cured it for me, I'm not going to be, you know, too cut up about it...) So far I've just had random CTDs, nothing Bug-related, just the usual Skyrim fun. I should be interested to know how your test works for other people though.

We know, from Raindene and others' experience, that SkyUI, modified or otherwise, is not in itself the cause of the Bug. Whatever it is, tonycubed2 seems to be immune to it. (And he uses SkyUI.)

Can anyone post a screenshot for him, by the way?

Lethiel