False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

Right this is reference to my previous 30 bandit test, (which nobody came back on - but as it was consistent for me, so it seemed like a good base for testing thoughts). Also as I'm using SKY 2.2, (or more specifically a version converted using the reddit instructions to get rid of the SKSE missing warning message). So with that in mind.

delete the 'containermenu.swf' from the data/interface folder. (i.e. return it to the frankly horrible normal interface).

In previous test I could just look through 10 to 15 bandits inventories using the test, (and saving), before getting the false save corrupt. After deleting that file, I just did 120 dead bandits in various Winterhold establishments and the problem hasn't reared it's ugly head again, (although I will probably have to do some actual playing to say if this is a true fix for me or anybody else).

Thoughts.

1) I've been using the converted SKYUI 2.2 since 9/11/2016. This problem only appeared after a subsequent game patch update. So just wondering if the fact that 2.2 is throwing SKSE function calls at the built in flash interpreter is what is causing the problem on the newer builds, (i.e. they changed something with the flash interpreter when they changed stuff for 'their' beth.net interface so it's not quite as robust as it used to be when crap calls are thrown at it). That said I've been in and out of the SKYUI 2.2 player inventory and barter menus a couple of hundred times without the problem, (just for testing). So maybe something specific with what the 'containermenu.swf' does which is different to the other menus.

2) Tried QD interface and under the same test outlined above, I didn't get the problem. So I could use straight normal interface or QD, (both not ideal solutions).

3) If people say 'well I dont use SKYUI 2.2 and I have the problem'. Just wondering if you are using one of the other wonderful 'not make Skyrim UI crap' type flash file replacements? i.e. SKYHUD, Dialog Box replacer, Message Box replacer? If so, this would probably point to more of a general interface type problem with the current build.

I'm sorry I didn't try your test--mainly because the Bug seems to have almost-but-not-quite gone for me. These are very good thoughts though. Would you be okay if I passed them on to JLeavey? (Or, of course, if you have a beth.net account you could do it yourself, which would probably be better...would at least show them that I'm not actually the only one who's had this problem.)

I may try your suggestion with SkyUI, though I'm loth to mess with my current game till something goes wrong with it; I'd dearly love to actually get as far as Diplomatic Immunity this time. :D Probably as soon as I do it the SKSE team will make their big announcement and we'll all have to start again anyway. :smile:

INcidentally I'm not using SkyHUD, but I am using Better Dialogue Controls and Better Messagebox Controls.

Lethiel

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lethielnyrond: the following observations are from CrushBoss, he is my best guru for mod optimization and troubleshooting. He is normally dead on in what he says. Please review and see if any of his comments may help you. :

A lot depends on several factors. What is her experience and expertise level with Skyrim and modding it? It is hard to answer without knowing this. If she is fairly new to modding the game, this load order is way too heavy for her. You have to start small and work your way up as you gain knowledge and experience. I'm currently on save game 1,864 with 157 hours played on my current playthrough of Skyrim. My game is smooth and I almost never CTD (once every 12 hours roughly). That's about as good as you can get with a heavy load order.

If she is new to playing a modded Skyrim then she needs to axe 75% of her mods and start clean. If she is experienced at modding Skyrim then what did she add to her current playthrough that she didn't have on her previous one?

Players should only mod up to their experience level.

Her system specs matter a lot also.

I would also make sure that 100% of the mods she is using are for Special Edition. Some of the 32-bit Skyrim mods will break SE.

She should be using BethINI to configure her INI files.

I would start clean and leave out the following mod types:

scripted

lots of cell and/or worldspace changes

lots of meshes (many oldrim mods will break SE due to incorrect meshes)

The number one goal is to get a stable game and then build off a strong foundation!!! If you just throw 200 mods all together, good luck on finding the bad ones. I noticed that she is using several location overhauls. I would stay away from these (examples: Quieter Dungeons and Caves.esp, Solitude Expansion.esp, etc.)

I would drop Footprints for sure (scripted) and probably iNeed (you can try adding iNeed back in once you have a stable game). I would also drop all the bird and carriage mods and all mods that make a lot of cell and worldspace changes. EFF is really good so she should keep that as well as RDO.

Without a solid base she will end up endlessly frustrated. Start small and build from there! Only install mods that you will use often and fit your playthrough goals (cut the rest)!

Well. That's me told, isn't it? :)

I've been playing (and modding) Oldrim for about two years, and SSE since it came out. I realise that's not very long by some people's standards, but I'm probably actually more experienced than I tend to think I am. I don't know CK, and I can't hand-tool my load order, but I can use the tools provided and they seem to work for me, mostly.

As for what I added to my playthrough that wasn't in my previous one, presumably this means before and after the Bug manifested, and the answer is: nothing. I've added some mods since then, more or less in a spirit of what-the-hell, and it hasn't made things appreciably worse, and now, as you know, I have almost as many mods as I used to have in Oldrim and the Bug has gone into hiding. At the time the Bug showed up I had actually cut back quite a bit from a list that was giving me no trouble at all before that (having had to reinstall from scratch, if you remember, because of the hard disc dying on me).

Please thank your friend for his advice, which I take in the spirit in which it was meant. I think I'll carry on for a while as I am, though, till the Bug manifests again or SKSE comes out (at which point I'll have to rethink the whole thing, obviously, as I expect will we all).

And thank you too.

Lethiel

Personally I've been messing with mods since Morrowind and usually I'd be the first to talk about safe modding etc. This case is more interesting as it started to happen when I had a relatively small number of mods and only a couple of scripted ones (Frostfall, Wet&Cold). Obviously, they were the first mods I tried to disable on a new game to troubleshoot, but the problem was there to stay. You can say I'm still having this bug, but mostly because I left my game and my mod setup untouched for the last two month. Bug was too intense for me to be ignored.

I'm planning to return to my experiments with a fresh install of everything after SKSE will come out and some staple mods from Oldrim will see the port (Legacy of The Dragonborn, CACO and - I hope - Jaxonz Positioner).

Right this is reference to my previous 30 bandit test, (which nobody came back on - but as it was consistent for me, so it seemed like a good base for testing thoughts). Also as I'm using SKY 2.2, (or more specifically a version converted using the reddit instructions to get rid of the SKSE missing warning message). So with that in mind.

delete the 'containermenu.swf' from the data/interface folder. (i.e. return it to the frankly horrible normal interface).

In previous test I could just look through 10 to 15 bandits inventories using the test, (and saving), before getting the false save corrupt. After deleting that file, I just did 120 dead bandits in various Winterhold establishments and the problem hasn't reared it's ugly head again, (although I will probably have to do some actual playing to say if this is a true fix for me or anybody else).

Thoughts.

1) I've been using the converted SKYUI 2.2 since 9/11/2016. This problem only appeared after a subsequent game patch update. So just wondering if the fact that 2.2 is throwing SKSE function calls at the built in flash interpreter is what is causing the problem on the newer builds, (i.e. they changed something with the flash interpreter when they changed stuff for 'their' beth.net interface so it's not quite as robust as it used to be when crap calls are thrown at it). That said I've been in and out of the SKYUI 2.2 player inventory and barter menus a couple of hundred times without the problem, (just for testing). So maybe something specific with what the 'containermenu.swf' does which is different to the other menus.

2) Tried QD interface and under the same test outlined above, I didn't get the problem. So I could use straight normal interface or QD, (both not ideal solutions).

3) If people say 'well I dont use SKYUI 2.2 and I have the problem'. Just wondering if you are using one of the other wonderful 'not make Skyrim UI crap' type flash file replacements? i.e. SKYHUD, Dialog Box replacer, Message Box replacer? If so, this would probably point to more of a general interface type problem with the current build.

I'm sorry I didn't try your test--mainly because the Bug seems to have almost-but-not-quite gone for me. These are very good thoughts though. Would you be okay if I passed them on to JLeavey? (Or, of course, if you have a beth.net account you could do it yourself, which would probably be better...would at least show them that I'm not actually the only one who's had this problem.)

I may try your suggestion with SkyUI, though I'm loth to mess with my current game till something goes wrong with it; I'd dearly love to actually get as far as Diplomatic Immunity this time. :D Probably as soon as I do it the SKSE team will make their big announcement and we'll all have to start again anyway. :smile:

INcidentally I'm not using SkyHUD, but I am using Better Dialogue Controls and Better Messagebox Controls.

Lethiel

Np with not trying it. (You don't actually have to delete the 'containermenu.swf' if you want to test the supposition, just move it elsewhere. It's not like a load order change). Anyway having played a couple of hours non stop killing things and going through their stuff, I have yet to see the corrupt save message again - yet. Was about every fifteen minutes before, (dependent on looking through stuff). Luckily the barter menu didn't exhibit the behaviour of the container, so I just have the annoying default screen for looting and giving followers stuff while my inventory and shops are fine. Roll on March/April/Whenever. I shall sheepishly return if that hasn't done it, just to keep people informed.

I'm not using SKYUI but Better message and dialogue box. I've sometimes experienced corrupted save non loadable after great and long battles with many ennemies (with SoT and OBIS) and looking / looting their corpses. It's maybe linked then to these Interface changes. Really ? Using keyboard instead of mouse can cause corruption ? i have to test I guess. :huh: