False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

I went over 39k strings on SE not long ago when I was testing SoT (even installed mid playthrough and there were no problems, only occasional crash) but later went back to an older save without the mod because I feared that my save would break. Now I'm sitting at 34 153 strings (removed some other mod too. Character is level 34 with 30 hours played). I didn't have any problems while playing with over 39k strings, apart from an occasional crash. Also played with over 35k (around 35 700) strings for a long time and the game was stable without any problems (not even crashes).

Is Bethesda aware of this issue? Anyone posted this in their official forum or wrote a message to them? After all, they want to sell mods or "dlc" in creation club and it creates new strings in saves.

Edited by Gandzior

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony what do you mean by your save "being toast"? Do you get the bug then, or you can't load the save?

Also, I really appreciate you helping in this thread since a modder's perspective is needed, but I just don't think your theories and reasons why it happene are fully accurate. There are certain patterns that just don't match up well with the string count theory. I really think it's an engine bug once loading a certain kind of resource, since crafting and certain scripts make it appear. For example, I load a save, no bug for a few minutes. But the second I open a mod menu- Aft, iNeed, etc., it appears. I think it's more specific than simply string counts.

save will no longer load. ctd upon trying. I can usually force it by first starting a fake game, going to an empty test cell, then loading it from there. but not really a stable thing.

i am going mostly on cause and effect as it applies to my game, so mileage will vary. as of now, there is no theory that can be proven. however, acting upon my theory by staying at a so called safge string level has solved my save problem and greatly reduced or eliminated random ctds.

also, as i have mentioned, string counts seem to go us as you play.

I went over 39k strings on SE not long ago when I was testing SoT (even installed mid playthrough and there were no problems, only occasional crash) but later went back to an older save without the mod because I feared that my save would break. Now I'm sitting at 34 153 strings (removed some other mod too. Character is level 34 with 30 hours played). I didn't have any problems while playing with over 39k strings, apart from an occasional crash. Also played with over 35k (around 35 700) strings for a long time and the game was stable without any problems (not even crashes).

Is Bethesda aware of this issue? Anyone posted this in their official forum or wrote a message to them? After all, they want to sell mods or "dlc" in creation club and it creates new strings in saves.

I had an email exchange with Tech support over this issue. They basically told me to not mod the game in order to get it working. Well, they said to uninstall all my mods and see if the issue persists. I knew that the issue wouldn't happen on Vanilla Skyrim because they would've found it.

Hopefully, this issue will come up with the Creation Club and they will fix it. Or someone will hack the game and provide a fix for it. Right now, Bethesda is pretty much useless on this issue.

I have this bug thing as well. Had it for a couple of months now I think, but I play Skyrim very on and off.

Corrupted saves that don't seem to be corrupted after a restart, not being able to talk to NPC's all of a sudden, blank notes.

I have mods right up to the mod limit, no merged mods yet. Got a lot installed but with esp's disabled.

Really don't want to play vanilla, mods are the reason I still play. Don't want to go back to old Skyrim either as it was really unstable, I frequently had low framerate and ctd's.

Yeah, and here I am, Steam literally took a STEAMing dump on my skyrim install and deleted EVERYTHING... so I've spent the last week downloading, updating, installing, and tweaking... only to finally start being able to actually play again tonight.... and I've gotten 2 CTD's within 2 hours.

Really hurts.

So I may be making the slow crawl back to SE now just to play, and stay out of the inns that keep causing the other random CTDs... but I gotta say even with a fully modded LE, SE still just looks better. I'll deal with the save corruption if it just doesn't crash on me, and I'll do without a few of my beloved mods...

...Really don't want to play vanilla, mods are the reason I still play. Don't want to go back to old Skyrim either as it was really unstable, I frequently had low framerate and ctd's.

I was loading off an old page and would have included this in my statement had I seen it. SE just runs so much smoother, and looks better even in an unmodded state imo. I just have a couple spots (mod related) where I'm getting some repeatable CTDs, just can't figure out which ones.

I slept on it and remembered that the first time I got the corrupted save bug thing was actually when I installed Bruma and fast travelled right to the border pass. I don't think I actually had any conflicting mods because I later loaded up an earlier save and tried walking over to the border and it worked fine, and I don't remember uninstalling anything in between.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Bruma in particular, but I wasn't altogether surprised when the game broke when I fast travelled right over to the start of a major quest mod that literally breaks the boundaries of the game.

Anyways, I feel like I have been getting it the most when I fast travel or go in and out of houses, but it's hard to pinpoint as I don't really notice untill I try to talk to someone, so I could walk around a long time before I notice.

Could it have anything to do with faulty load orders?

Unrelated, but I've just recently had issues with that. Previously I just ran stuff through LOOT and it was fine, but recently the order LOOT gave me crashed my game at certain points and I had to diagnose and move the mod that was a causing the problem manually lower on the list than LOOT tried to put it. Still don't know what it conflicted with.

Edited by Chag4

Seems like the biggest reason the bunch of us non-programming savvy can think of is overloaded memory management, but I can see how a less than optimal load order can cause complications. I had seen several times that I'd sort with loot and then wrye bash would immediately complain about a sub-optimal load order.