False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

Came back to this thread again and it seems we are still no closer to finding out a cause, it seems that this issue can occur for many different reasons. I for one am no longer sure about the string theory (pun intended) since I started my last save with about 42 000 strings and played for days, weeks even I think, without getting the issue. What I avoided for a long time was installing or uninstalling any mods mid game, but eventually I couldn't resist doing it as I found some new mods I felt I really needed. Soon after that, the issue appeared again.

However, I cannot say for certain this was the reason for the issue, it could simply be that my save got bigger and bigger and eventually this false corruption flag decided to appear.

I also noted something else I found quite interesting. This issue does not seem to be related strictly to time spent ingame, as I initially thought. I can usually play for about an hour, give or take, before I get this issue, so I tried to simply leave my game on while I did other stuff. After leaving it on (and not paused) for about an hour and a half I went back, made a save, and it was not corrupted. After I had played a while however, it came back, so it seems to be related to stuff you do. Perhaps it's related to how many cells you move in and out of, perhaps it's related to combat.

Lastly it might be worth pointing out that for a long time I played with a mod amount that was within the limit that Wrye Bash recommends, but as I installed a few more mods mid game I got the WB warning about having too many mods and auto-ghosting turned off. WB recommends I turn it on but I haven't since I'm not sure exactly what it does. No idea if this could be related to the problem, but I kinda doubt it, since some people reported getting it even with a low amount of mods installed.

Edited by TheCruxis

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have increased my mod number to 307 and the number of plugins to 190 which includes a Bashed Patch. The number of starting strings has edged up 35700 or so. I also included Skyrim SE re-engaged ReShade into the mix. I played for over a hour after getting my build to that point and got to level 20. I had to shut it down to eat. I will try playing more this evening.

your list have most commonly mod that i tend to avoid, lol.

t thougt it was source of my problem before, i think i might be wrong this entire time

mostly of my mod add item

like immersive armor

tera armor

and many individual armor and weapon

and also follower

i have a lot of follower, hanging around in the cities, cause i think many follower is better, than only add random npc with mod like populated cities, since follower mod has unique appearance

but i still encounter this save corruption

my susp is mod that add item on crafting section, since it tend to corrup after i look around on crafting section

...but as I installed a few more mods mid game I got the WB warning about having too many mods and auto-ghosting turned off. WB recommends I turn it on but I haven't since I'm not sure exactly what it does. No idea if this could be related to the problem, but I kinda doubt it, since some people reported getting it even with a low amount of mods installed.

If I understand correctly, the game still registers ESP and ESM files even if they aren't active or loaded. While they won't do anything if not active, the game still says "oh, they're here, guess I better waste a bunch of time and resources looking at them and doing literally nothing."

Ghosting the files basically renames them (from ESP to ghost) so the game doesn't recognize them as being there.

It's something to do with having a large number of files can cause the game to slow down even if they aren't actively being used. This helps bypass it.

I have increased my mod number to 307 and the number of plugins to 190 which includes a Bashed Patch. The number of starting strings has edged up 35700 or so. I also included Skyrim SE re-engaged ReShade into the mix. I played for over a hour after getting my build to that point and got to level 20. I had to shut it down to eat. I will try playing more this evening.

your list have most commonly mod that i tend to avoid, lol.

t thougt it was source of my problem before, i think i might be wrong this entire time

mostly of my mod add item

like immersive armor

tera armor

and many individual armor and weapon

and also follower

i have a lot of follower, hanging around in the cities, cause i think many follower is better, than only add random npc with mod like populated cities, since follower mod has unique appearance

but i still encounter this save corruption

my susp is mod that add item on crafting section, since it tend to corrup after i look around on crafting section

Same here, I use literally over 100 follower mods and merge them into a few ESPs because I want my skyrim to feel more populated. The SoT team just released a lite version of populated towns and stuff, and it resolved a lot of annoyances the old one had. Like walking into an inn and having literally 20NPCs in your face, unable to move. lol.

You do bring up a good point about the crafting, this may have been discussed and I forgot, but I do a lot of crafting... I just got SE back up and tweaked some more, so I'll play with that idea some.

Sooo... I'd really, REALLY like to separate these two problems.
1) String count.
2) "Our bug" which is fake save corruption and, more importantly, disappearing text.

First, I made a load order with 55000 strings. Ran around for couple of hours. No bug in sight. I saw it with 37000 strings. Seems kinda... shifty.
Just for the laughs, I downloaded the "Save Breaker" - plugin that adds 40000 strings to my save. Saved the game, checked it with ReSaver. Yep, over 95000 strings. And some orphaned instances that weren't there before.
So, I tried to load the save, which means instant crash, and actually... it loaded just fine. It would go up in flames in Oldrim - I know it, I was there, testing the string problem before. But here, it loads. Well, this one, at least. I did couple more - not an extensive testing, but so far I can load them. And still no sign of bug #2.

So, not a lot to go on, but:
- It is possible that saves are going toast in SSE for completely different reasons
- Saves are surprisingly willing to load after being completely broken
- There is no visible connection between string count and interface corruption.

But it's only while looking at it from my cave.
It would be cool of someone there could test it as well.
Save Breaker is here - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74390/?

Hello friends, I've followed this topic because I have the bug, too. I don't want to give false hopes because my "solution" doesn't really make sense, but I have been able to reduce the frequency of the false corruption (it sounds so Warhammer 40K, doesn't it? :laugh: ) by opening my save file in ReSaver, saving it under another name, then deleting all other saves from the folder. I haven't encountered the bug in 3 hours, and before I was having it every 20 minutes. It's a very easy method, so you could try by yourself.

It sorta worked for me in the past to reduce bug intensity. I wonder if this is the result of new system that ties saves to specific character profile. Like, the profile has a limited amounts of data it can safely read before it loses it.
Doesn't explain why other text in game disappears though. Still, some of us had luck before with full re-installs and I wonder if this was happening because we actually deleted the number of saves with each such re-install.

My issues seem to be worse when doing things that have active scripting, and heavy scripting at the time. Such as in a fight with warzones while trying to loot with convenient horses. Using auto loot makes the issue 5 times worse much more quickly it seems. And of course, until there's a way to get convenient horses script latency tester in place, we wont ever really know in the meantime it seems, if heavy script lag can be causing said issues.

If you are having the false corrupt problem and are using the following mods:

UNP Blessed Body SE

UNP Blessed Body Fit Armors and Clothing

The Book of UUNP Volumes 1 2 and 3 - UNP - Sevenbase - UNPB

Try taking them out of your mod list and see if you are still getting the false corrupt problem.

I'm also using my converted version of UNPB, the body fit armours + clothing and Book of UUNP. I really hope its not this as these are mostly essential to me :3

This problem for me is either caused by or accelerated by putting items away in the storage of my player home (currently, mainly Rayek's End)