Archery Ideas

Spartan0536

Hello,

I am not much for archery in RL, however I have tried it a few times and for a novice I have been told I have a nack for it, but I kinda like shooting 800-1000 yards with rifles instead and doing tactical handgun :P

However I LOVE archery in the Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion's archery was annoying but still kinda fun), I have been looking at all the different arrows in the game via wikia's and some of the broadheads (arrow heads) are just ridiculous, I have also seen the re-textures and some are nice but they do not change the physical appearance of the head other than color and definition. I did some research on modern and medieval arrows, as well as arrows from different fantasy lores, funny thing that the Steel Arrows in Skyrim are closely related to modern day arrows but ones like Ebony and Deadric pretty much make next to no sense when it comes to flight dynamics and ballistics. I am hoping that someone with some help (glad to provide any info needed) will undertake this task and make the arrows a little more believable and as the arrow tiers go up the designs get nastier.

Here is another idea as well, I have seen requests for flintlock firearms and the such, however I am thinking of something really cool and it CAN fit in the Elder Scrolls theme; aside from the Longbow at the beginning most bows in this game are based ideally off the proven Recurve Bow (Mongolians used this design extremely well in RL), however being this is a game of lore, I am thinking that one of the best Smiths in Skyrim would come up with a revolutionary new design, a COMPOUND BOW. Now before you jump on me that plastics and lightweight composite frames do not fit in the Elder Scrolls realm, consider this, the design of a compound bow could have easily been made in the Medieval period as the bow design uses a pulley system which even the Ancient Roman Empire used on boats, this is extremely practical in the Elder Scrolls realm. To make things interesting I propose that this design be very hard to make and has to be player forged using many different types of ingots and some firewood and leather including some Dragon parts. This will be the most powerful bow in the game, a stand in name that I have come up with is "Dovahkiin Bow". The bow is also enchanted to give the player a +50-100% to bow damage or something like that within balance to show how much more power you get out of a Compound Bow design.

I honestly wouldn't care if it broke lore, because crossbows, compound bows and gunpowder weapons would make "archery" a bit more fun. Hell, I'd love to have two more perk trees for firearms and thrown explosives, just to add variety to ranged combat.

What would really be sweet, is if they added in a VATS system for it, and maybe the ability to enchant arrows, or even different types of arrows, as if you were the Green Arrow or something.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/465098-muskets/

Edited by IxionInc

Wanted this to keep lore because for people who don't care about lore, they usually still get it anyway and those who do care end up getting it because it feels right, it appeals to more people, I am compiling a list of Arrowheads from many different RL cultures to get a tier list going. The Daedric Arrows will be based off of a modern broadhead design with Deadra profiling, it will make that arrow look as mean and nasty as it should be, fletching is also being looked at. I have a question, is Ebony in the Elder Scrolls realm considered a Metal or Wood, because Ebony is a wood in RL, an answer to this will help determine what kind of arrowhead to use.