help with creation kit

wil1022

so yeah dumb question here but would it break my game if i were to change an npc's race like if i were to take a nord and make her a breton ? just wanted to ask her before i try so i don't screw up my game or some thing like that

A specific NPC? It shouldn't hurt anything, just be aware that she might not look exactly the same due to different race base values for the facegen system; you might have to do light editing to get the face back to its precise shape. Fortunately the construction set's face adjustment sliders are far superior to the ones in-game.

Also remember that the two races have different innate abilities between them, Nords have cold resist and...something else, whereas Bretons have magika boost or something. You don't have to switch them, but it would make for a more realistic/complete edit. Though, I don't recall offhand if abilities will change on an NPC that you've already met (and is as such saved in your savegame).

In the end, anything you do can be easily reversed. You see, when you edit something from the base game, you save those edits in an .esp (ElderScollsPlugin) file. When you activate this file in your load order, it overrides whatever is in the base game. Reversing your changes is as simple as deleting or editing that file; the NPC is changed back to what she was originally, or whatever you further edit her to.

I don't think it would break anything unless you change their ID or possibly their name. It should be fine.

Even if, in the worst case scenario, it breaks one single quest you can always just delete the .esp that you saved the change on, and it'll be fixed.

Like I said though, you probably won't even have to do that. It'll almost certainly be fine.

Edited by Rennn