turn anything into a container

Rattlerx5150

oh far as getting the activator to work for you:

you can duplicate the DefaultEmptyTrigger, rename it to anything and then in the "name" field, make sure it has something (this will be the text that they see when they hover over it) named triggers are activated by the player, unnamed triggers are automatically triggered when the player walks into them. make sure to add that script DefaultActivateLinkedRefOnActivate on the scripts tab so that it will grab the linkref when the player activates it and open the chest.

I'm curious as to the "why" of using such a convoluted method versus right clicking in the container section, selecting new, and pointing to the nif you wish to use?

for many objects you could just create a container out of them, like the clothing objects that sit on the floor when dropped, but for things like guns, being they are multipart items, its not a single nif that makes up the weapon, so you'd have to create a loadscreen / static collection object out of it in order to make it a persistent static, or assimble your own single nif using nifscope. The loadscreen method works good for things like the weapons.

I'm curious as to the "why" of using such a convoluted method versus right clicking in the container section, selecting new, and pointing to the nif you wish to use?

for many objects you could just create a container out of them, like the clothing objects that sit on the floor when dropped, but for things like guns, being they are multipart items, its not a single nif that makes up the weapon, so you'd have to create a loadscreen / static collection object out of it in order to make it a persistent static, or assimble your own single nif using nifscope. The loadscreen method works good for things like the weapons.

I was curious too , just decided not to ask as Damanding already did it . The author wanted to use a vault crate and existing statics so it was not clear why he wants those red boxes :D...But who knows, maybe he is going to use a teddy bear in the future.

Because this way works,

I dont feel like doing it the way I did In FNV where i used numerous tools to extract models and textures and i spent hours troubleshooting why i turned into a red exclamation mark

I just want to put a box around a static and turn it into a container

If Bethesda made nuka machines containers like they were in F3 and FNV i wouldnt have to do all this

Because this way works,

I dont feel like doing it the way I did In FNV where i used numerous tools to extract models and textures and i spent hours troubleshooting why i turned into a red exclamation mark

If Bethesda made nuka machines containers like they were in F3 and FNV i wouldnt have to do all this

You don`t need to extract anything , if you use a vanilla static item you just copy file path from the static object in the CK to your container.

Because this way works,

You don`t need to extract anything , if you use a vanilla static item you just copy file path from the static object in the CK to your container.

its not going to work in this mod anyway, I think the original creator did something to it

I cannot check the Player activation checkbox to make this work

Because this way works,

its not going to work in this mod anyway, I think the original creator did something to it

I cannot check the Player activation checkbox to make this work

You don`t need to check anything. You just duplicate an existing container like a toolbox for example and change path to the nif . Well it`s up to you. I think I did all I could :D

If you're a real beginner at creating clutter static collections, its a lot easier to use Outfit Studio for this. You can do it in nifskope but you have to manually copy texture paths in and I just find that annoying.

The basics of creating your own mesh to use as a container:

Extract the vanilla meshes you want from the vanilla archives using either Archive 2 (tools folder) or B.A.E. (Bethesda Archive Extractor). This way you have the loose nif files to point to later in the CK. If what you want to use as a container is already a single nif, great you're set. If you actually want to combine multiple nifs then open up Outfit Studio (OS). Literally drag/drop the nif you want into OS. Continue until you have all that you want to use. Click the Transform tool button (circle with up and sideways arrow) to get the dragging feature. Highlight the nif(s) you want to move in the list on the right, then use the arrows surrounding the item to move it where you want. When you've arranged things to your liking, export as a new nif. Now you have your custom mesh to use to create a container.

Open up the CK, right click on any item in the containers list, select new, point it to your new nif. Now you have your own container. :D