[WIP] Belua Sanguinare Revisited

Jakisthe

Edit: I'm thinking this should only be for Sires. Sires are just stronger right now, and get one additional spell (Conjure Storms). They really need some more to strive for. Not that more aren't planned and weren't planned for the start, I just haven't gotten a chance to implement them and some are more challenging than others. There's really no more low hanging fruit for the Sire Spells if you know what I mean. :)

-MM

Sounds good to me. Upper levels need something to counterbalance the negatives

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like any new feature, I worry about the balance issues. I'm glad this is already sorted out.

Darksun,

Agreed. This provides a very powerful way for the player to move through the world, as they can switch into mist form and fly until their mana runs out and then can sprint until their stamina runs out. There are some caveats to the mist form however. You can't use it while in combat. Granted, sprint CAN be used while in combat and ... is a very effective way to run away from things. I'm not sure how to handle that or if it should be.

So, I added one more feature tonight, and that was "Sense Dead". Not sense the undead, just sense dead. It's like Detect Life/Sense Blood but....blue hued. Quite useful for finding dead bodies... :)

So I'm still playing out using my original 1st level vampire, who is now 8th level and about 1/2 way through Risen requirements and really only because he keeps a follower. I noticed tonight that I was REALLY using sleep as a crutch to skip the daytime. It didn't start out that way, but at some point I started doing it. Primarily because I didn't pay the price of sleeping and going hungry. So I removed the "safe from hunger" mechanics with sleep altogether. The only time you're safe from hunger if you sleep, is if you progress/regress to the next stage. You'll be reset at that point. Thanks nskin039 for putting that thought in my head.

Jakisthe got some of the weakness information to me tonight and I've done a onceover of the work that may be involved. Ideas about implementation are setting in... This could get interesting.

-MM

So I removed the "safe from hunger" mechanics with sleep altogether. The only time you're safe from hunger if you sleep, is if you progress/regress to the next stage. You'll be reset at that point. Thanks nskin039 for putting that thought in my head.

-MM

Happy to help. You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the awesome work. I really like how you are handling this mod. You are fine tuning it prior to a closed beta. By the time it goes public it should be awesome. Anytime you release videos of the mod I am happy to spill my thoughts on them. Again keep up the awesome work.

Formus will likely take a while to implement, thanks to me having to make a model, skin it, set up it's skeleton, animate it, and [hardest of all] find how to make it work with Skyrim files, but it should be possible. As MM said though, the tricky bit beyond that is how flying works in the first place; it's a pretty weird one.

All,

So I built out the framework for the hunger stages. Just to let you know that we've expanded it out a small bit. There are now six stages to hunger.

•  
  • Satiated = Stage 5
  • Unsatiated = Stage 4
  • Hungry = Stage 3
  • Famished = Stage 2
  • Ravenous = Stage 1
  • Starved = Stage 0

The stage you are in is determined by whatever BeluaMaxSatiatedLevel you set. Default is 100 so this is how it scales out:

•  
  • Satiated = 100-81
  • Unsatiated 80-61
  • Hungry 60-41
  • Famished 40-21
  • Ravenous 20-1
  • Starved 0

Basically each stage is approximately 20% of your BeluaMaxSatiatedLevel, with Starved always being 0 satiation.

You still have control over when the hunger special effects kick in (i.e. ALWAYS ON SENSE BLOOD) and when AOS kicks in though the values for controlling that have changed. Where they were a number between 0 and your max, now it's just a stage value and any stage that you're in, including and below that value, will trigger hunger effects and AOS so if you still want AOS on all the time, you can do it by setting BeluaHungeredAOSLevel to 5.

Why did we do that? We're going to attempt to scale out hunger effects so that your level of hunger isn't just binary Off or On and has some sense of impending doom (as well as benefit) rather than ... "oh I can wait it out another 3 hours in daylight here with this shade". So now it's all wired up, and I just have to setup the weaknesses to kick in on the various stages and make some tweaks to some of the existing spells that used the old mechanics. I think once this is done, we'll be ready for release of the private beta. If you're not set to be on the beta and want to be, please ping Jakisthe.

Last night I almost made it to Master without cheating, but still with having a follower that lets me feed on her whenever.

I added some additional tweaks to the mod. When you feed, it makes a bloody mess. Sneak Feed has some different visuals, the victim will fall to the ground in one of three different poses, bleeding out for a moment and then get back up. I may even make them dazed and "drunk" for a few moments.

I reworked the effect shaders for "Quasi Caligo" spell (Become as Mist/Fog) to get more of the effect flowing around the player. It needs some additional work. I also changed the audio based on Nskin039's feedback to something a little more subtle and while it's still a sound loop, it has less of the looping sound feel.

There's added sounds associated with Harvest Heart now, you hear a fast heartbeat, then a slow beat, then none at all. I don't recall if I mentioned this but on top of the chance to get a "Fresh Heart (Healthy)" vs. "Fresh Heart (Damaged)" you now have a chance to get a "Destroyed Heart". The chances to get a destroyed heart over any other heart is a flat 25%. If you pass that check then your chances of getting a Damaged vs Healthy scale out based on Vampire Level. The higher your vampire level the more likely you'll get a Healthy heart. At lower levels even the damaged hearts are very useful, perhaps not so much at higher levels. I think the feel of it is right. I did this to reduce the overall amount of hearts that could just be harvested in general. Last night I finally got attacked by my second radiant quest. It was unexpected and worked as it was intended. Although we were in a confined space and killed my assailants quickly, I still wasn't quick enough to harvest both hearts. It's working as intended.

I hope to have a lot of time this weekend to put the remaining features into place. Who knows, if the nights are good to me, I'll have them added in the next day or two.

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

Yes, I think I had finally figured out a way to combine sensical strengths and weaknesses for the hunger that comes with not eating...not my most cyclical or elegant work, but it makes it such that the vampire is faster, more...singleminded, and more brutal in their drive to get fed. Hopefully, it'll naturally lead to a whole new style of gameplay, where players balance their satiation with the unique benefits and negatives that come with the territory. Mostly passive ones, but they're noticeable for sure. Probably a good thing too that I didn't have every aspect wind back into something else; that would just make things more complicated :tongue:

This looks amazing. I haven't touched the game in a while but this mod will get me playing a new game in no time. Hope to see it released soon guys, great work. Those teasers have me drooling like crazy.

Welcome to the thread LonerFO! And thank you for the kind words! I hope you stay around and offer some feedback and support! We're doing a limited initial release to get things feeling just right out of the box for the public release. There's a good deal of customization for those that don't like <some of> our settings and we're very eager to release this soon!

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

In my monitoring of other mods, I thought of a tweak to check for and possibly implement. Since you effectively change races when you become a vampire all racism in the game is gone. Example if you are an elf race the Nords don't distrust you anymore. It would be really nice if you were still treated the same way as before you became a vampire. IMO since vamps are masters of trickery and disguise, NPCs should still view you as if you were your original race (they can't see that your are a vamp). Therefore the racisim should still exist. I am guessing that the mortal form power will bring the racism back while it is in use, but I think it should always apply (unless maybe you are a sire or something, but by that point you should be feared or AOS as well). Edited by nskin039