[Technical Issue] 403 Forbidden Error whenever I try to Download a File

WetDogSquad

So I know this has been a common/recurring bug for some members, but I've been encountering it non-stop for the past week or so, preventing me from accessing any files on the site, and I've been unable to find anybody within the past year having the same problem.

The error shows up whenever I try to manually download any file on the site (I haven't been able to test it with a mod manager, yet). Clicking the download link brings up the typical server list pop-up, then I get redirected to a page including the text "403 Forbidden" followed by "nginx/1.11.5" (screenshot attached).

I've tried changing my preferred download location from the CDN to North America - Premium, assuming it might be a problem with the CDN, but the error persists.

I was mostly wondering if anyone else was having their error, or if it might be client-side, or a problem with my ISP or router.

We're aware of this issue and we're working on a permanent fix. For now can you make sure the IP you download from is the same as the one you use to browse? This can happen if you are using certain proxies, VPNs, university gateways or some advanced form of connection balancing over two lines.

This is just as a temporary fix as we'll hopefully be able to fix this issue completely and you will be able to keep on using your current configuration in the future.

Thanks for reporting and sorry for the inconvenience.

my problem is a little different. so i'm new to nexus and I am trying to download my first mod. i have used the steam workshop, but i wanted more variety. so when i click on a mod i want to download it gives me two options."DOWNLOAD (NMM) and DOWNLOAD(MANUAL). now i know than manual is the long way and i'm thinking that the (NMM) option is the fast way and the videos that i watched are just out of date so to make a short story long should i click (NMM) or try and do it manually?

-DaSpcFish

@DaSpcFish; NMM is the "Nexus Mod Manager", a free, open-source utility commissioned by the Nexus Site Owner.

It works for most, (but not all) mods for a specific set of popular games.

(Oh, and it's technically still at the beta testing stage, so... "some things may not work right." :laugh: )

Learn more about NMM here: Nexus Mod Manager - Open Beta

Discussion forum for NMM here: Open Beta Feedback

Minor update, I can Download with Manager (Mod Organizer, to be exact), but manual downloads still give me the 403 error, at least they did last time I tried.

Edit: So I can't believe I didn't realize it could be causing problems earlier, but I've been using a plugin for Chrome called Data Saver, which loads pages on google servers before sending compressed versions to my browser, to prevent myself from hitting my data cap, and I've since disabled it. Clearly that was causing problems with the download servers, and I feel like a fool for not seeing the connection earlier.

To add insult to injury, according to the extension, it's only saved me about 2MB of data in the past month x.x

• 4 months later...

So it looks like this issue is supposed to have been solved since there's been no post since January? If so, could someone please post the solution because I'm still having the problem of getting 403 errors from nginx when I try to download files manually. Premium user, logged in, tried Chrome, Opera, and TOR browsers with same result. It doesn't happen every time, just at least 95% of the time.

As the post made by the OP right above yours explained, the problem is at the client (your) end, not the Nexus.

Whatever is going on, you'd have to provide a whole lot more information before anyone would have a shot at helping.

• 10 months later...
Just for the record .. for those of us (and maybe I am in the minority) who use a mifi or similar hotspot while traveling and trying to keep games updated, this error is particularly annoying .. nothing like trying to play a favorite game and can't get it to open due to an out of date mod file .. PLEASE get this fixed .. it is a very real pain in the fanny .. thanks.

• 2 months later...

I'm also currently stuck using a hotspot. The ping is fine, but bandwidth is low. So, it takes about 50-60 minutes to download a mod that's ~200 MB. Not the end of the world... except for when it randomly stop downloading and says "Failed - Forbidden"