Far Harbor

ahycb

I am just now getting around to finishing the DLC's. I am pleasantly pleased and surprised with FH end game decisions. I did create 4 PC's to experience all 4 faction endings in the MQ but the only PC I consistently play is my MM PC. I am really struggling with the morally gray decisions that Robert Foster (my PC) has to make. General Foster has pretty much done all the FH faction side quest and has a good rep with all them atm. I am at the end and have put off the final decision for 2 days now (been settlement building) while Foster makes up his mind. Does Foster compromise his core beliefs and go ahead with Dima's scheme to minimize bloodshed and get Kasumi home or persuade Dima to face judgement from FH and leave the island with nothing completed? Foster has justified each decision multiple times. I know there are other possibilities but destroying the CoA or FH is not on the table for this PC.

What do you think the General that spared everyone but the Institute in the main story and rebuilt the CW into a thriving area do?

If destroying either faction (CoA, humans) is out of the question then the only courses of action are (a) turn Dima in, possibly with the consequence of the people of FH attacking Acadia and hence killing the synths there, or (b) go along with Dima's scheme and sacrifice ONE person, who apparently is hell-bent on wiping FH along with the attendant bloodshed on both sides, for the sake of peaceful co-existence between the settlers of FH and the Children of Atom.

Assuming you sided with the RR at some point in the main game, and are sympathetic to synths, would allowing Acadia be destroyed be consistent with your character's motives? Or since he's rebuilding the CW settlement by settlement, would rebuilding the island of Far Harbor be a logical extension of his work?

Just my $0.02. My character is similar to yours and those were my thoughts as I played the end game of the DLC. In the end I decided to go along with Dima's plan, for the greater good of the inhabitants of the island.

@stargazer this is the way I am leaning atm. I am assuming though with high reputation and charisma I could convince the citizens of FH not to attack Acadia if I convince Dima to face judgement. And then I come to @TheGadget comments, I have considered this as well, but FH, harbors their own murderer in Allen Lee that they have done nothing too for killing a CoA missionary in cold blood. I could bring Dima to justice but that would still leave me where I was when I first came to the island.

I have established 4 settlements in FH and for all intent purposes they are MM settlements protected and supplied from the mainland with MM assets. Thru the story line I have learned there are and have been CoA that have questioned their faith and moved on. Some of them just need more time. Synth's are welcomed at all my settlements across the CW, so I am sympathetic to Acadia's mission, and FH is full of settlers wanting to return to their land. The logical conclusion would be to go along with Dima but General Foster is wavering back and forth.

I feel like this would be a CIA move in a foreign land siding with the "moderate rebels". The question that I and General Foster have to answer is, does the end justify the means?

Depends on the ends and the means, and one's moral compass I suppose, and everyone will have their own opinions. I can only share that if the end if morally good (peaceful co-existence and the survival of humans and synths on FH) and the means moderately bad (the murder of a faction's leader who is leaning towards cleansing of FH settlers anyway) then that IMO is justified.

But of course there are no easy answers...

@stargazer this is the way I am leaning atm. I am assuming though with high reputation and charisma I could convince the citizens of FH not to attack Acadia if I convince Dima to face judgement. And then I come to @TheGadget comments, I have considered this as well, but FH, harbors their own murderer in Allen Lee that they have done nothing too for killing a CoA missionary in cold blood. I could bring Dima to justice but that would still leave me where I was when I first came to the island.

I have established 4 settlements in FH and for all intent purposes they are MM settlements protected and supplied from the mainland with MM assets. Thru the story line I have learned there are and have been CoA that have questioned their faith and moved on. Some of them just need more time. Synth's are welcomed at all my settlements across the CW, so I am sympathetic to Acadia's mission, and FH is full of settlers wanting to return to their land. The logical conclusion would be to go along with Dima but General Foster is wavering back and forth.

I feel like this would be a CIA move in a foreign land siding with the "moderate rebels". The question that I and General Foster have to answer is, does the end justify the means?

DIMA has the kill switch to deactivate the wind turbines and wipe Far Harbor out. Far Harbor has no actual plan to destroy Acadia and can only do it by marching there for hand to hand combat . Avery tells Allen Lee he "deserves to hang" for killing the CoA missionary who told FH they should all die but before her mind wipe Synth Avery knew of the real Avery's death and was thus complicit in her murder and replacement.

Synths are only able to live in CW settlements because they can pass for human and on one occasion Starlight Drive In was attacked by Gen 1 synths and I found 4 of my 16 settlers dead, all of whom (the 4) had Synth Components.

Far Harbour's end choices are definitely a lot more engaging (and less aggravating) than the main quest's. I didn't have as much difficulty choosing with my PC of choice because he's one of those "ends justify the means" types anyway. A lot of the main game revolves around doing pretty horrible, ruthless s*** for the sake of greater good. Sticking with the Minutemen allows you to cop out of some bloodshed at the cost of a fair chunk of main quest content, but even so.... at some point your Foster will have blown up hundreds of innocent civilians, children and gorillas in order to stop a handful of unethical experiments. He may also have resigned a bunch of Hitler Youth to a horrible, fiery death aboard the Prydwen just because Maxon's an a**hole. And when you think about it, every time you take a ghoul extermination quest you're basically partaking of genocide against the mentally ill. So being Lawful Good is well out of the picture.

In this case, though, I feel like the moral justification is pretty clear. Doing the right thing doesn't always leave your hands clean, but DiMA undoubtedly saved dozens (hundreds?) of innocent lives by taking that one less-than-innocent life. Furthermore, DiMa plays an essential role in preserving life and peace on the Island. Regardless of his moral standing, the fact of the matter is that both Arcadia and Far Harbour (plus the CoA) would already be dead without him, and their odds of survival without him are less-than-stellar. If you let DiMA face execution, and Far Harbour's trust in Arcaria is shattered, then it's only a matter of time before the situation deteriorates into massive bloodshed. In fact, if your charisma is low, it will only be a matter of minutes. Do you have plans to spend the next hundred years babysitting the island's factions in DiMA's stead? I don't.

Edited by TheSpaceShuttleChallenger

I didn't get that far in my first playthough and I haven't got to FH yet in my second, but my choice would be to eradicate the CofA and let Dima carry on and probably will be if/when I get that far.

Well, the flip side of the "the end justifies the means" coin is: make sure that the end does justify the means. If you want to use X to justify Y, you kinda need X to be true first.

Or to put it otherwise, they say that you can't make an omelett without breaking a few eggs, but have you noticed that some people can break a lot of eggs and never end up with much of an omelett? In fact, almost invariably those who use that justification never have a decent omelett to show for their efforts.

I didn't intend to play Far Harbor in my latest playthrough but eventually I did. Under the influence of a bottle of wine, I went to the Nucleus, did the minimum to get inside then killed them all hand to hand , getting 5 suits of Zealots armour in the process.

Then I got Dima's memories and told Far Harbor. I persuaded them to spare Synth Avery, then they marched to Acadia where I helped them kill the synths. Finally I went to the Nucleus and killed as many of the respawned CoA as I could before nuking them. As a result Far Harbor is safe and Allen Lee loves me like a brother.