The Thalmor Ignorance

Stormcrown

It's interesting to point out that this isn't the first time that the Thalmor have appeared.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Thalmor

Apparently, they were dissolved when Tiber Septim conquered Valenwood.

Perhaps banning Talos worship is their way of getting back at him?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talos IS a god. That is an indisputable fact. It is shown most directly through his Avatar, Wulf, found in Morrowind.

More importantly, it is almost certian that Talos was CHIM. He reformed Cyrodiil to be more hospitable BEFORE becomming a god.

The Thalmor arguement against Talos's godhood is based purely in their ethnocentric superiority. The Elves beleive themselves to be decendants of the Gods, and are unable to regain their divinity. The Humans are creations of the Gods, but can somehow acheive godhood? You can see how that would be offencive to the Thalmor.

Just because they don't want to beleive it, doesn't mean it isn't true.

It's interesting to point out that this isn't the first time that the Thalmor have appeared.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Thalmor

Apparently, they were dissolved when Tiber Septim conquered Valenwood.

Perhaps banning Talos worship is their way of getting back at him?

Yeah, I just realized that not everyone knows that. Thanks Auriana.

That is a very interesting point. The Thalmor have a lot of right to be angry at Talos, after dissolving them...

Anyone who is wondering, after the Thalmor were dissolved the first time, there remained Thalmor in the elven provinces, but they held no political sway until the Oblivion crisis. Where they claimed that they saved their provinces from Oblivion. And out of respect, I guess, the governments of the elven provinces adopted the Thalmor "culture."

So the Aldmeri Dominion of today is just a reborn version of the old Admeri Dominion. And because they were defeated by Talos/Tiber Septim and his Empire...it is simply natural for them to attack them.

Oh, they also gained Elsweyr after the Void nights, where the moons never appeared for a period of time. And then when they came back, the Thalmor claimed they did it. And so the kitty cats of Tamriel swore fealty to the Thalmor. And the two provinces of the Aldmeri Dominon were reborn.

So I'm hoping that the next elder scrolls takes place in the aldmeri dominion provinces, all 3 of them

Edited by Stormcrown

I bet the Thalmor don't actually care, its just an evil plot since they considered it the best way to turn the nords panties in a twist. If they wouldn't have got Talos into the white gold concord, they would have demanded to outlaw mead instead.

I bet the Thalmor don't actually care, its just an evil plot since they considered it the best way to turn the nords panties in a twist. If they wouldn't have got Talos into the white gold concord, they would have demanded to outlaw mead instead.

Outlawing Talos was more of a military strategy than anything.

Their goal is to conquer all of Tamriel. And by making the Empire enforce the banning of Talos, the Nords would turn against the Empire. Which as we all know, happened.

If you played through the Stormcloak questline

, General Tullius, before you kill him, says "This is exactly what they wanted." meaning the thalmor.

It's more of a genius strategy than annoying the nords.

Edited by Stormcrown

i figured the white-gold concordant also allowed the thalmor to hunt down members of the imperial intelligence service in the imperial’s own provinces with immunity. Blinding the empire, and eliminating the empires most elite military force, or what was left of it. I also think it killed imperial morale (not being able to worship talos), as well as causing strife with the whole ceding provincial territories.

And from what I can recall from within the game itself, at some point there was an unprovoked invasion by the thalmor against the imperial province, where the thalmor seized the imperial city before the legions could be mobilized in force. they threatened to burn the city if their demands weren’t met. Or am I wrong on that point?

----edit (as for the whole is talos a god thing)

i would say: yay. he's a god. how did he become one? i have a theory on that. (btw has anyone noticed the blessing from the talos shrine is 0% reduction in shout cooldown? Maybe because he’s not worshiped as devoutly as before)

i suspect that tiber gained acclaim during his conquest of the cyrodiilic city states, and of the rebuilding of the empire after what was it 300 years of civil war. that plus the fame earned following this... er, how did that book put it... the people began to worship him as man not god. however the worship of many is what earned him his godhood or not earned, but achieved i suppose. that's what i got, for what it's worth.

Edited by Invisible Man

Talo is a god.

In oblivion the main quest requires and object that has the blood of a divine.

The chosen item was the armour of tiber septim

Here:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Tiber_Septim

If he wasnt a divine, then the his armour would not have worked in the main quest of Oblivion as they needed an artifact of a divine

Therefore he is a god

If he wasnt a divine, then the his armour would not have worked in the main quest of Oblivion as they needed an artifact of a divine

Therefore he is a god

good point, i didn't think of that.