NMM vs MO2, which is better?

ReaperTai

• 8 months later...

I'm asking myself the same question. I've never had problems with NMM but I was wondering if MO has some sort of safe system for uninstalling mods because when mod overwrites the vanilla files you can't just simply uninstall it expecting no problems. Ideally would be an option to restore to last known good configuration same as system restore in Windows.

Yeah I have to say NMM has worked pretty much flawlessly for me, maybe a couple times for each game it has not uninstalled a mod correctly the first try, but doing it again always fixed it. That's considering that between skyrim, SE, and fallout 4 I've completely overhauled my mod list so many times, and have installed and uninstalled mods at least hundreds of times, if not more. I'd say it's been 98%

perfect functioning

I'm asking myself the same question. I've never had problems with NMM but I was wondering if MO has some sort of safe system for uninstalling mods because when mod overwrites the vanilla files you can't just simply uninstall it expecting no problems. Ideally would be an option to restore to last known good configuration same as system restore in Windows.

Your question says to me that you aren't understanding how MO works as it never ever touches the vanilla files at all. Any mods you add are isolated in their own mod folder and all installed and active mods are combined into your standard load order at run time when you load the game via MO. If you remove a mod from your MO install, the files that the mod were overwriting don't have to be restored because they were never missing, they were just virtually overwritten by MO when you run the game.

I'm using the latest MO Alphaversion from GitHub, which was from Tannin(For Fallout 4). Its works quite well and i have no issues, except that it sometimes crashes when you move files from the overwrite folder to an other folder. But thats totally ok. It will close and you simply restart it and its fine.

I tried NMM(For Skyrim SE) but it gives me huge issues. NMM sometimes does not install mods correctly and often "forgets" to install files from the archive. My Skyrim SE is a mess thanks to NMM. While playing SSE i had to switch to desktop to reinstall specific mods by hand as NMM forgot files... Example is Hunterborn. NMM forgot to install the scripts. It was not working ingame and i was wondering why... well.. then i went to the Data folder and the files were missing. After that i figured out some more mods were not working correctly. Some hours later i reinstalled many mods by hand and i quit Skyrim SE as it was finally playable, as i was totally done with NMM.

I'm glad that i didnt use NMM for Fallout 4.

This version of NMM is garbage tbh. It wont even open without it FORCING me to update my mods. Every. Single. Time. Im going to a previous version.

You need to click a button to have NMM check for updates. Then you have to go to the particular mods page and download it. Then you have to install and activate it. Any suggestion that NMM does this for you is just magical thinking. This is the post-apocalyptic wasteland and there are no magical spells cast by Telvani wizards to accomplish such magic.

This version of NMM is garbage tbh. It wont even open without it FORCING me to update my mods. Every. Single. Time. Im going to a previous version.

There are tons of reasons why you do not want your mod manager to auto update your mods. If it had this feature it would be the most unwanted thing there is. For some it might not be a problem, but the majority i think/know is using mods that have dependencies on other mods. That usually means that if one mod gets updated the other needs to be updated to. Now since updating is upto the author and how much time they have and are willing to spend if they have not abondoned support for a mod, you might end up with a mod conflict crashing your game and having to wait for updates or stop using one of 2 mods. Not updating means you can keep playing without problems.

Another far more important reason is the recent CreationClub update. That required alot of mods to be updated after F4SE was updated, F4SE is not managed by NMM or MO, I and i know alot of others have rolled back to before the CreationClub update and have not updated their games yet. If NMM or MO would auto update mods that would break the game for alot of people because they have old versions of mods build for a specific version of F4SE. There is alot more to updates for modded games then just always having the latest version of every mod.

You can say alot of thing about NMM but not having a auto update is actually a very good thing.