Bash The Lock

Cryogenius333

Okay. I know this is probably a silly thing to ask, mostly because I'm 87.532 % sure it's already been requested, and likely created... but is there a way to set some way (Repeating myself a bit) to bash a lock open when you can't pick it. I mean, you could always console code it if you run out of picks, but somehow, it just doesn't seem right. Or fair.

Scenario

My last pick broke!

But wait! What have we here... A hhhammmer! HA HA!

"THUD" (Warhammer collides with chest and does effectively nothing but cause a small puff of dust and sparks to issue forth)

'Sigh'

Stares dumbly at the chest for fifteen seconds or so.

I wonder what's inside?

Welp... Guess we'll never know.

~

-Unlock-

Seize goods. Hooray. (Little voice way out there somewhere)

You stare at your not so hard earned loot and frown, because you don't feel like you've accomplished something.

Sighing, you go on your way.

Okay, so maybe I got just a bit carried away there, but you get the point. I know that certain game restructuring mods, Like Deadly Reflex (I think) and Unnecessary violence were supposed to let you do something like that, but I could never get it to work. I think they were supposed to let you melt locks as well.

And I know Fallout let you force the lock, although doing so unsuccessfully meant you could never get the lock open again (Without console hacking it. Haha. Fallout. Hacking. Console. I'm such a quack.)

A system like that, possibly for Skyrim when the tools come out (Which I think they may have already, and I'm just puttering around in circles), and something similar but likely less advanced for Oblivion, because it's older than fallout, and kinda unnecessary once you've learned the trick to lockpicking(Seriously. Skill 4 in lockpicking, and I'm opening master locks).

If anyone can give me direction, I would be very appreciative. Contrary to what I rambled about above, I would ask this for Oblivion. Or I would have put it on the Skyrim posts. It's more just a fluidity thing, because I never do run out of lock picks it's just... some less sneaky characters may not want to footle about with picks and tumblers, and may just want to rip the box open.

And I have seriously found a locked crate. Not even kidding. I searched in circles around it and found no visible lock, but it was quite locked.

Made me ANGRY. Wanted to smash the damn thing!

But I couldn't.

As EVER... I appreciate any input, so long as I'm not being slandered for being a looney bin, or anything else. You've all been wonderfully polite thus far, though I think I may be wearing on people's nerves by now.

P.S.

No chests were harmed in the making of this Scenario.

And I have seriously found a locked crate. Not even kidding. I searched in circles around it and found no visible lock, but it was quite locked.

Y'know, it seemed like once upon a time I found locked bags laying around in Neverwinter Nights. Not heavy chainmail mesh bags with chains wrapped around'em all padlocked up like, just...bags. Cowskin construction. Held shut by rope. Bags. Sacks, if you will.

So while I've never had such a ridiculous thing happen in Oblivion, it honestly doesn't surprise me to hear that there might be locked containers like that laying around. Game developers have strange senses of humor sometimes.

So anyway, Lock Bash. There's also a copy of it on the Nexus, but apparently the creator didn't bother updating it for some strange reason. Though he did take the time to note in the description that it was outdated. I don't know.

If you prefer something more FO3/NV-ish (that is, dialog-driven that doesn't require your actually smacking things), it should be fairly easy to script, assuming such a mod doesn't also exist. I stopped searching when I found the above, so er, yea.

Y'know, it seemed like once upon a time I found locked bags laying around in Neverwinter Nights. Not heavy chainmail mesh bags with chains wrapped around'em all padlocked up like, just...bags. Cowskin construction. Held shut by rope. Bags. Sacks, if you will.

Haha, I hear you on that. The Wizards seem to enjoy that kind of thing immensely. Don't even get me started on Bioware. Talking... locked piles of stones in the middle of the Gods forsaken Cloak Wood. Locked Trees. Damn Keebler Elves.

Anyway, Thanks for the direction. It's good to know that the possibility of a hammer happy merc getting what he wanted without resorting to thief craft wasn't completely overlooked.

Haha, I hear you on that. The Wizards seem to enjoy that kind of thing immensely. Don't even get me started on Bioware. Talking... locked piles of stones in the middle of the Gods forsaken Cloak Wood. Locked Trees. Damn Keebler Elves.

Anyway, Thanks for the direction. It's good to know that the possibility of a hammer happy merc getting what he wanted without resorting to thief craft wasn't completely overlooked.