Why are people so hostile?

FlyingHigh10000000

So I put up a mod recently, "Gantz Weapons". I plainly stated, first off, that it's my first real mod, and to take it easy. Then I reminded people that the source material involves people exploding into a bunch of gibs, and that the weapons reflected that, but were /NOT/ god weapons because they are true to the source, and not just there to be overpowered.

Oh, and the TOS are on my side on this one, seeing as you're not allowed to bash modders or post negative comments. Yet, right away I get a bunch of comments deriding my work for making things "too easy" and I get called "lazy" for working with vanilla resources.

Gods, people, I'm new to this. I tried to make something nice for fans of Gantz and this is the response I get? This kind of crap makes me not want to mod anymore. If all I'm going to get is people treating me like garbage for being true to the source material, why should I share my work with anyone, much less these ungrateful haters

To quote the TOS:

"The commenting, endorsement and rating system is available on Nexus sites to provide users with:

• an interface to offer positive feedback on the functionality of the file in question based on the author’s initial intentions
  • the ability to offer constructive criticism on aspects of the file that could be improved
  • the chance to ask for feature requests and discuss such requests with other users of the site or the author
  • the ability to ask for help in troubleshooting problems with the file in question

If your comment does not fit in to the above criteria then do not post. If you disagree with the content of a file on the site then do not post. Simply ignore the file and move on."

It just baffles me that some people can be so hostile toward someone posting an initial version of what they hope to turn into a bigger mod later, criticizing as if they'd done the work instead.

Edited by FlyingHigh10000000

No matter where you go there will be people like that. Ignoring the whining, ranting or whatever else they come up with, and continuing on shows you are made of better stuff. Report the comments, and let us deal with them from that point.

As we know not everyone reads the TOS, and that is their undoing on many occasions. Others do, and choose to ignore them, same deal. They lose in the end. Don't give up just because a few ignorant comments were posted by people that have no excuse for not knowing better.

Two points of honest advice:

1.) People can ignore the ToS, rules, or whatever they want to. This site has rather strict policies about such behavior and so modders are pretty well protected from trolls and flamers, but by the time you report someone's post you've already read it presumably and so the damage is already done. You need a thick skin as a modder, realistically, since there's no way around this... even some of the most popular mods I've seen on this site have been trolled, flamed, etc. in surprisingly colorful manners.

2.) This is the constructive critique portion, so please consider this with a level head. Categories and tags exist to help downloaders find content quickly, there's really no other reason to have them. I know you don't want to put it under a different category but the simple truth is that 6749 damage isn't in the standard range for the kind of weapon I would be looking for in the "Weapon" category... when I'm there I'm looking for stuff that isn't going to be significantly better than the vanilla weapons. Even if in the setting you're deriving the weapons from they're not godlike, they are in New Vegas, and that's what people downloading mods for it are considering first and foremost.

That being said, I only mention that as someone who downloads a lot of files. Categories and tags are important to me because otherwise I spend even more time searching for files and sifting through content I'm not interested in, or I take forever to find a file because it wasn't tagged very accurately.

Anyway, cheers, and happy modding. Don't let any of the more coarse members on the site deter you from modding, just do it if you enjoy it.

I am familiar with this too.

You will create and upload a mod (whether it is good or not is besides the point) and will encounter some people who feel the need to unload rage because they simply don't like it. Personal oppinion and/or taste is irrelevant as there will allways be people who DO like it - and it must be remembered that liking something you don't like does not make other's views wrong.

Perhaps they merely fail to read and follow the rules in regards to mod feedback, or perhaps they are the type of person who sees the world from a very insular viewpoint - "I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG FOR LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!"

As the rules say, if you don't personally like the mod, just move along...

I agree with the advice others have given above. Compared to some of the other gaming communities I participate in (I won't mention any names) the overall crowd here is quite a bit more reserved and the moderators do a fine job of weeding out the riffraff. When trolls with unjustified criticisms or straight-out insults do arise, however, it's better to use the "report" button rather than to get ones'self into trouble by arguing with them.

People are typical consumers. They think that they have rights and can make demands and sometimes this is true, when they actually purchase something. However, you, as a modder, do it for free, do it for your own reasons like fun and thus don't owe them a thing, and they just a bit failed to grasp that. You only owe something to Dark0ne while you use his site and that's simply following his rules and behaving, like we all do, nothing more (this, of course, includes refraining from arguing with naughty people like trolls).

You uploaded your mod for those who will like your work, didn't you? The rest of the world... why should their opinions matter anything? Don't pay too much attention.

On the other hand, if you asked for honest criticism... such a thing is generally easy to tell from a typical troll rant in the very first few words. So you don't have to read the rest :) Especially look out for abuse of caps lock and exclamation marks. Those are likely to mark unimportant posts.

People are typical consumers. They think that they have rights and can make demands and sometimes this is true, when they actually purchase something. However, you, as a modder, do it for free, do it for your own reasons like fun and thus don't owe them a thing

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Well said.