Increase Flare Burn Duration

FO4SoundModifications

I took a peek at "meshes\Effects\FlareFXExplosion.nif", and tried to shorten the duration which is easier if you want to just see if your changes are having some effect.

And it works, so making the duration longer should be possible (unless the game would have some hardcoded limit).

It would probably also need to alter the gravity, so the flare falls slower, but that should be the easiest part.

The real problem is editing the duration values for the particle system.

Technically it is easy to do in nifSkope, but i suspect it will be quite tedious task, with a significant portion of trial and error, because its not just one value.

Its using several systems - the explosion, sparkling, and smoke - and i suspect these systems also have stages, so it might be neccessary to adjust the values for all of these stages on many many many places, and its often not a simple replacement, but you will need to calculate new values depending on the desired duration.

It might be also needed to add some new blocks/records - i dont remember where it was, but i noticed some kind of blocks repeating for approx. each second of the overall 26 duration - depending on what those blocks are for, it may be neccessary to add new ones if the duration is increased above those 26 secs.

So, it is possible to do this manually in nifSkope, but i'd say it will be the worst kind of tedious work.

I took a peek at "meshes\Effects\FlareFXExplosion.nif", and tried to shorten the duration which is easier if you want to just see if your changes are having some effect.

And it works, so making the duration longer should be possible (unless the game would have some hardcoded limit).

It would probably also need to alter the gravity, so the flare falls slower, but that should be the easiest part.

Technically it is easy to do in nifSkope, but i suspect it will be quite tedious task, with a significant portion of trial and error, because its not just one value.

Its using several systems - the explosion, sparkling, and smoke - and i suspect these systems also have stages, so it might be neccessary to adjust the values for all of these stages on many many many places, and its often not a simple replacement, but you will need to calculate new values depending on the desired duration.

It might be also needed to add some new blocks/records - i dont remember where it was, but i noticed some kind of blocks repeating for approx. each second of the overall 26 duration - depending on what those blocks are for, it may be neccessary to add new ones if the duration is increased above those 26 secs.

So, it is possible to do this manually in nifSkope, but i'd say it will be the worst kind of tedious work.

Good work, good to know its possible.

There is actually a mod that already adjusts the gravity and projectile speed (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12083/?)

But my concern is making the duration about 5 minutes, I'll give nifSkope a try when I have time

Its funny that about 15 minutes after I found and downloaded this cool Road Flares mod I then found this thread as I sought a way to increase their duration and this is actually a current thread. I hope you make some progress in nifscope or someone else chimes in with an easier answer, these flares are cool with darker nights added but I wish I could make them last longer.

If you're looking for a longer source of light.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14415/?

Thanks for the suggestion but I prefer flares because of the radius

Its funny that about 15 minutes after I found and downloaded this cool Road Flares mod I then found this thread as I sought a way to increase their duration and this is actually a current thread. I hope you make some progress in nifscope or someone else chimes in with an easier answer, these flares are cool with darker nights added but I wish I could make them last longer.

I am actually using that mod. It uses the same effects from the vanilla game. So it will work for that one as well if this gets done

Is there a way to increase the size of the light with this aswell? I'd give any of this a try but I have no experience with nifSkope.

Edited by FO4SoundModifications

Is there a way to increase the size of the light with this aswell? I'd give any of this a try but I have no experience with nifSkope.

I strongly believe so, as that would make most sense, but i do not really know.

Maybe looking into some of the other, common light source NIFs, would hint at what to look for here.