Stormcloaks are suddenly hostile to me

Rooker75

It is not a bug. Until you pick a side, both camps will tell you to get out; once you choose a side you can enter that side's camps. Look at it this way from a RL perspective, unless you are in the military, you cannot just walk onto a military base; they will turn you away or eject you at best, at worst they will jail you or shoot you.

Not true. I haven't joined a side yet and I can visit both side's camps without a problem.

Perhaps one of us is using a mod that allows/disallows this then. They always run me off.

Nope. Sometimes they allow you, sometimes they dont. Im not sure whats triggering that behavior. With my Khajiit for example, at first some camps didnt allowed me to enter, but now i can freely enter (both imperials and stormcloaks) in them, never did anything of the Civil War or the MQ in this playtrough. And the most game changing mod im using are Complete Crafting Overhaul and my Blacksmith's Hideout mod :D

• 8 months later...

Ya... I think it is a bug, I didn't even notice it until now... and I have complete both killing Alduin & Dawnguard.

During the summit, I let the *censored* stay but give Dawnstar & Winterhold to Empire, neither side gave me grief during the negotiation (they usually do if the one side is consider favored). I think before killing Alduin, both side let me enter the camp.

Now the Stormcloak start getting hostile (the Imperial camps are still cool), they don't just warn me away when I get close... I get warn even when I run off and they attack if I am no entirely out of sight no matter how far I go. So ya... I think it's a bug. Haven't chosen a side yet (& not going to) and Windhelm didn't give me any trouble.

For whatever reason, after the peace truce, game may read the player supports the Empire, even when the Dragornborn didn't really favor any of the sides during negotiations, neither was asked to openly declare her or his allegiance. If Stormcloak camp soldiaers suddenly started to attack you after finishing the main quest, you can try typing in console 'player.addfac 4b58e 0' which will remove you from 'civilian allies of Imperial faction'.

I think if you kill enough of one side or the other the camps will go hostile. I have not joined the Stormcloaks yet but have killed every Legion members I've seen. I used to be able to go into the Legion camps and they'd be friendly until I attacked. After wiping out the Rift and Winterhold camps I found the Legions in the Pale camp hostile on site and so is every Legion member I've seen sense in the world even with no bounty in any holds and having not joined the Stormcloaks nor having progressed far enough into the main quest to get the peace summit. Edited by The7Sins

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this thread is still going?

I think I know what's going on now. You're put into the Imperial faction after the peace summit, for reasons I'm sure nobody can explain. I've walked past imperial soldiers who greeted me as "auxiliary," even though I haven't joined up and I'm allowed to hit guards/soldiers once or twice before they go hostile, if they're on the Imperial side.

I guess if every issue at the summit goes Ulfric's way (boot the elf, no compensation for massacres, Winterhold instead of Riften), it might put you in the Stormcloak faction, but I don't really know.

• 1 year later...

Similar issue but with a twist... My character joined Stormcloaks, and helped win all the battles of the Civil War. Stormcloaks were uniformly friendly.

But at the end of the last battle (Solitude), after I'd nuked about 25 Imperials (and AFIK zero Stormcloaks -- I was very careful) but before confronting Gen Tulius, Ulfric suddenly turned on me. Oddly, I suddenly became unkillable. When Ulfric ran me through with his sword, I fell to the ground, dazed I suppose, and then got up and was able to continue fighting. (This was different from the normal reset-to-previous-save behavior.) I let this happen about 4 times, then ran away.

Then I ran back to Tulius, Ulfric came, and somehow Ulfric became friendly again.

BUT, now Stormcload soldiers attack me on sight. Perhaps it's because I'm an elf, but up to now that's only engendered a few snide comments.