Funky LOD issue in interior cell

Volbrand

Currently having an issue with an interior cell. I chose the concordsky region but when you look out the window in game it shows an exterior that is firstly just south of bunkerhill, and second is inside another building/underneath it as I can see the bottom of buildings and some pieces are invisible. I tried changing it back to default interior region but it seems to be stuck in the same place. What am I doing wrong?

Â

can't upload screenshot of it ingame, says the file's "too big" so I uploaded it to imgur

http://imgur.com/moyaWcl

Edited by Volbrand

Right off the bat, it sounds like you have not assigned any interior offset coordinates. You need to tell the CK where in the worldspace you want the LOD to display. By default, itâs set to 0,0,0 which will show the area youâre seeing as itâs the center of the Commonwealth worldspaceâ¦at least thatâs my understanding from my limited tinkering with showing an exterior from an interior cell.

Under the Interior Data tab, there should be a space for X, Y, Z coordinates. Thatâs where you enter your offset to determine what worldspace LOD coordinates to use. How to get those coordinates (for me at least involves A LOT of trial and error. The whole set up for doing this is clunky as hell. You need to find an interior cell that shows worldspace and uses offset coordinates that is close to the location of the LOD you want displayed and work off those. Thatâs how Iâve been doing it.

You also need to create an LOCClipVolume object around the bounds of your cell to prevent the generated LOD from showing up inside your interior area. I also think you need this to get any offset coordinate changes to register in the CK<,but Iâm not sure on that.

Iâve only tinkered with this and canât go into any more detail âcuz Iâm at work, but if you use that Google thing and search for âcreation kit lod interior offsetâ there are several forum posts that will give you the info I donât have time to right now. The first hit I see labeled âinterior lod positioningâ on the old Bethesda.net forums back when they were at least partially useful. There are other links to forum posts her eon the Nexus. I suggest you dig into those as there isnât whole lot out there on how to do this in FO4.

Hope this helps.

Ok so first things first, you're right you have to use LOCClipVolumeObjects to allow changes to offset occur. BUT you were saying the system is a bit clunky, here's what I did: (1) go into your preferences File>Preferences>LOD tab, and turn on LOD in the render window so you can see where it is without going in game to do it. The next part I'd suggest saving before doing, but you can then Drag a box around your entire interior including the LOCClip and Just move it/rotate it etc. The origin of the LoCClip will automatically update so even though your offset coords stay the same, the interior will show up where you placed it. I'd still suggest changing the offset if you have to move huge distances since my CK crashed a few times trying to move it a lot all at once. Just remember that if you change the offsets and apply it, you still have to refresh the render window for changes to take place.

Also note that in most cases it seems like the x and y coordinates are backwards, meaning if you were to divide the CW up in quadrants, what should be third quadrant in a cartesian system (-x,-y) is actually quadrant 1 in the commonwealth. (Up near National Guard Training Yard area)

Yep...that's more or less how I've been doing it but never tried selecting the cell and LOCClip and moving them. I'll have to give that a whirl. Clicking the Apply button of the cell info window after changing the offset usually will update the cell and register the change.

My clunky reference was more meant towards how you find the offset coordinates in the first place. But I've just tinkered with this so I'm sure there is a better way than my lunkhead way of struggling with it. :happy:

• 6 months later...

In the interest of helping anyone who finds this thread like I did, it turns out that if you move the object too far from 0,0,0 by clicking and dragging it through the LOD world, you get an error where everything you placed in the cell collapses down with their origin on a single point and everything squishes on top of one another. To fix that, you have to change the offset in the cell window under the Interior Data tab, and then make smaller adjustments by clicking and dragging. I ended up having to set my offset to -62000, 62000, -500 or something crazy that. Also, the way I figured that out is by going to the place in the Commonwealth that I wanted the LOD to display, looking at the very bottom of the main CK window and looking at the 'Game Cam' coordinates, using those for the offset values, and then fiddling around with + and - because the offset coordinates are reversed. (Remember to hit F5 to refresh the render window to show changes, and have landscape LOD turned on from the LOD tab in preferences.) Hope this helps someone!