My first Mod project: Knights of Madness

Oblivious12

You might want to check out Tes4Geko and run the module that removes any changes in your mod that duplicate stuff in the original Oblivion. any time you touch something accidentally - click on something, then discover you selected the wrong object so you unselect it. When this hapens in the CS it makes a record in the mod. These little records can cause strange problems when the mod is put into the game. The kind of things it causes can be totally unexpected. - In my current mod I have NO written dialog yet, but when testing with a lot of mods, Many NPCs from other mods came up with "I have no Greeting" instead of their dialog. After cleaning with Tes4Geko, it worked again.

Thanks Bben46,I managed to fix those errors, and at this moment it is stable, and I haven't found anymore bugs so far. I'm testing it as I go. However, I do have a question, how can I get secret passages to work? I tried using a modified version of the original secret passage script, but it wouldn''t accept the object ref I put in in place of the old one (and yes I used a valid ref), and says only ObjectRefs and Reference Variables are allowed in this Context". Any suggestions? And I don't know how to modify dialog or AI Paths, so I Haven't messed with them. For now I'm trying to get the areas and NPCs Up and working completely by 0.5 Beta.

The last couple of releases until the full release (v1.0) will be spent with quests, dialog, and back story.

Hey! We're up to 0.3 Alpha now, and I'm posting what I've got so far onto the site. I will continue to post as the version advances. Mod download can be found here:

http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16535

The name is Battlehorn Castle Improved.

Please go, download, take a look at it, and tell me what you think. And don't forget to rate! I will add pictures later.

I'm going to continue moving forward with the mod, and expect 0.4 to be out sometime next week. In the meantime, I would appreciate your comments, critiques, and suggestions.

However, I have a few questions:

How do I get the Secret door script to work? Its rejecting the object Ref.

Alright, I've run into another problem with Oblivion, SO I'm going to have to revert to a clean install again. ::sigh:: This Time, however, I'm going to ensure I do it RIGHT.

Hey Oblivious,

Good luck on your first mod. For your scripting function whenever the script requires you to use a reference it means an object in the render window. First make sure that you have created a new activator for your script. Then double click on your door give a unique reference name and then tick the persistent reference box. In your script you will then need to refer to the reference name that you gave the door. The syntax for activating a door is:

RefID.activate

For the reference ID (along with all other new IDs that you will eventually create in your mods a good idea is to follow a naming convention. For example all of my new IDs start with the prefix Ling, then they have a shorter prefix (usually initials) that deals with the name of the mod, then the name of the NPC/item/cell etc. The letter L is fairly unused in the Oblivion esm and so if you zoom to it by typing the letter L then chances are it will be the object you want. So you may want to consider changing your name to something starting with L so that you can use the letter L in your prefix. Using 'Ob' probably isn't a very good prefix since there are a lot of things starting with ob.

Another good idea is also not to post beta version after beta version on tesnexus. While some of the larger mods post beta versions this is simply because they are so large that a small number of beta testers would be unlikely to catch all the bugs. With smaller mods such as yours it is probably a better idea to complete the mod up to a proper releaseable state first, release it and then make updates as necessary.

I know. I'm not posting the mod again until 0.5, and after that, not until 1.0. And thank you for your help with the door script, I got them working now. I've been focusing on the Substructure Areas, and have come up with an idea for something like a "Sunken Village" Beneath battlehorn, but its just an Idea. right now its just the Forgotten lake area. However, Soon I will get back to work on the Treasury, finishing it out (lighting is done) by adding furniture, containers, and items. then I will finish out the Dungeon(add bedrolls, clutter, and such to the cells as well as a jailor), before I will add the barracks. However, I might possibly switch around the area order, so as to promote an intelligent building design. Instead of: Great Hall -> Dungeon -> Armory -> Treasury\ Dungeon -> Substructure, I will make it like so: Great Hall -> Barracks -> 1 Dungeon, 2 Armory -> 1 Substructure, 2 Treasury. This will make it follow a more logical order, as well as making it so that when a prisoner escapes, they can't arm themselves in the armory, and then rush right out of the castle, taking the valuables from the treasury with them. However, This will require the Dungeon and the treasury areas to be slightly modified.

I am debating the addition of a library area and guest rooms, but finding a place for them will be a tad bit difficult, although

i am sure the area near the front of the castle on the top floor would suit this purpose just fine. (it is unused, so it would be perfect, while still remaining within the confines of the castle exterior.) I will now post, for the first time, the entirety of what will and won't be in this mod:

Barracks, with an additional five to six men, fully scheduled, with dialog and the same follow script as the original battlehorn Castle Men-At-Arms.

Library, with plenty of space for books, and a few books already on the shelves, as well as (possibly) a librarian NPC scripted to find books on the shelf for you and put them away (will take some scripting)

Guest Rooms, (a total of three) with a maid for such

East, West, North-East, and South-west towers, fully integrated into the design of the castle, with archers stationed at each (four for each tower is my current thinking, may reduce it to two.)

Dungeons, complete with jailor(scheduled and (possibly, and highly unlikely) scripted to allow you to take, release, or visit prisoners in your dungeon) and Prisoners (possible, again, and unlikely)

Armory, with full sets of steel, Iron, Leather, and Chainmail, as well as fine steel Weapons, and plenty of room for you to store your weapons and armor.

Treasury, with open chests for metallic and gem treasure storage, display cases, tables, pedestals, Chests, and pedestals to display armor (Reznod's Armor Mannequins comes highly recommended)

Expansive Castle Substructure, complete with goblins, rats, secret tunnels that lead to hidden escape routes from the castle, an a subterranean tunnel network, as well as (possible, and VERY likely, as I've already started on it) A hidden area known as the "Sunken Village", an abandoned (for now, may revisit it later), flooded town that was built deep below the surface.

And of course, all of this will be integrated into the existing item scripts (the ones you use when you buy the receipts for the furnishings, that puts the furnishings in, except in some areas it will add the Areas themselves as well, labeled "Expansions". The Dungeon, Expanded Barracks, Treasury, Armory, Guest Rooms, All new towers, and the Library will fall under this Category)

Please note that for now, only the ones that are not listed as (Possible) will be done. Any of those may or may not be added later, and only a few of them will, if any. If you wish to help me with this mod, then simply email me at:

[email protected]

I need people who are good at the following:

-Scripting (I can do basic scripts, and modify existing ones, but creating my own I'm afraid I'm not very good at.)

-Quest Scripts (I haven't the slightest clue how these work)

-Dialog (Again, haven't the slightest clue, and while I can come up with some pretty good lines of dialog, actually putting them into the game is a bit of a problem, as I don't fully understand the scripting behind Oblivion's game engine.)

Anyone who renders Direct (i.e. they do actual work on the mod itself, not just answering questions) help on the mod will get full mention in the credits for their work as a co-author of the mod.

Once again, thank you for your support, and keep the comments coming!