can't download mods

realwaterbottle

i'm trying to download various mods and while some of them save just fine, others i get an error message of "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\lsdkgjdfhkbl.zip.part could not be saved because the source file could not be read", and closes the "save as" window. i've tried flushing my dns, clearing my cache, restarting my computer, and trying chrome and even internet explorer (both don't work, but IE downloads the files only for them to be corrupt). since the other browsers don't work, i haven't tried individual browser setting changes.

considering i've successfully downloaded a few mods (More Banter, and Leliana the Nightingale) but the rest seem to fail, i wonder if it's something on nexusmod's side? or the individual files are no longer available (which i doubt)?

i'm not really expecting an answer but i thought i might as well ask and see if anyone had any ideas. thanks for reading!

As far as I know, it's a problem of Mozilla Firefox. Maybe this links will help you:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Source_file_could_not_be_read

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files

Or this solution

"Along the lines of the last post, what happens if you stop Firefox from telling the web server that you will accept compressed files? Here's how:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste enco and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the network.http.accept-encoding preference and

(A) If it has the default value (line is not bolded), delete all of the text and click OK.

(B) If it has a customized value, copy the current value to a safe place for potential later use, then delete all of the text and click OK.

When you visit the site again, Firefox should omit the usual headers saying that it accepted gzip/deflate encoded responses. Any difference?"

wow thanks for the quick reply!

i did try some of the suggestions on those sites, and after you posted that solution i tried that too. no luck thus far. i'm not sure that it's firefox's fault, since chrome gives me a "Failed: Network Error" when i try to download files and internet explorer just gives me corrupted files... i also tried it on my brother's computer, hoping to copy the files to a USB and bring them back to my computer, but i had the same problem!

i'll keep fiddling with it

i use winrar, but i don't even reach that part of the process, the file refuses to download (the "save as" box closes and nothing happens), and if it does download the files are corrupted.

between my last post and now, i was able to download 2 files that were giving me that error, and now it's back to not downloading anything again. so strange.

checking my antivirus is actually a good idea i haven't tried yet, and it did mess with some online games i play in the past so that's what i'll try next!

thanks again for the help!