NCRs attack on Navarro...

jetflightgirl

Something I started thinking of lately: what, exactly, would've been NCRs motivation to attack Navarro? Keep in mind that what the Chosen One (and thus us, the players) learned is a far cry from what the NCR or even the Brotherhood know; the people that DID witness the crimes on the Oil Rig went to found New Arroyo, not join the NCR, and I sincerely doubt Sgt. Granite's team would've gone to incite NCR to attack their former comrades (assuming they joined TCO in the first place).

So was it Brotherhood's suspicions? (they were still friends then... sort of). Imperialist butthurt over someone being a potential threat to them? Chosen One telling them to? Or did they find some conclusive evidence of the Enclave's former plans that warranted sending hundreds, if not thousands, of their soldiers to certain death in order to wipe out one base? After all, they didn't just CONQUER the base, they relentlessly hunt down anyone even remotely associated with the Enclave (seriously, Arcade was a toddler when Navarro fell); this, however, could just as well be NCRs vindictive nature due to the doubtlessly heavy losses they suffered, rather than some evidence of genocidal plans.

I am, btw, also aware that short of Word of God, we won't know the real reason. But I AM looking for an exercise in brainstorming, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter. What motivated the NCR to attack Navarro?

Well, back then I imagine the BoS let the NCR know they had a genocidal faction about that would kill both them and the Shi. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the BoS sent a few Paladins to help the NCR with cleaning the base out.

I also bet it was Enclave tech that started the NCR-BoS war.