How can I make a follower/ pet mod?

Seraephiim

I cant find a mod on how to make a dragon follower, and I was just wondering how to, and how hard is it? I want to make a dragon that circles above you, or one that follows you on foot, i will most likely decrease the size of it. thank you!

You're probably going to need to do what the rest of us are doing-- wait for the CK to come out! :) But for now, you might want to start planning-- how will you get the dragon? Is there a quest attached? If yes, get it written now so you'll be ready.

Welcome to modding!

Thank you NellSpeed. I heard some people try to replace thier dog companions with other animals besides wolves or foxes, and the animations didnt work... do you know if there is a way to get the animations of a dragon to work properly? thanks again :D

also, do i need to have a first post in an introductory section or anything before i post anything else?

Thank you NellSpeed. I heard some people try to replace thier dog companions with other animals besides wolves or foxes, and the animations didnt work... do you know if there is a way to get the animations of a dragon to work properly? thanks again :D

also, do i need to have a first post in an introductory section or anything before i post anything else?

My best guess is that the animations will really, really not work with a dragon. If you watch them move, it's closer to the way a bat moves than how a canine moves.

And no, you can start posting away without an intro. :) Although as always, it's not unwise to lurk awhile first.

ya, looking through the animations on the bsa files is pretty hard to find all of the animations for a dragon, but maybe its possible to switch them out with the dogs animations... but with a dragon there are rediculous amounts, that cover everything, like perching on a tower, or turning 45 degrees on the ground lol. i would rather have a dragon in full though than have a dog that looks like a dragon... maybe i could find the code a follower uses and create a friendly one. I tried using console commands like setplayerteammate 1, but that just made one not attack me for awhile :/ Edited by Seraephiim

Creating custom companions should be a LOT easier, since Bethesda's already got them in-game. If it works anything like Oblivion, it'll be a matter of adding the right dialogue options. Animals in Oblivion didn't have dialogue capability, so making companions of them was a huge pain, although some people managed it.

I'm guessing the problem with trying to make a companion of an existing dragon is probably that they're part of a hostile faction, the way that draugr, bandits, and other attack-on-sight NPCs are.. Creating a dragon follower from scratch will fix that problem; alternately, you could try to use the NPC editor to make dragons non-hostile... but unless you know exactly which dragon you're working with, it probably won't work correctly.

Ah, the joys of modding without a CK. :D

• 2 weeks later...

All I can think of now is a little dog sized dragon flying after me.

well was wondering the same thing, u can change yourself into creatures with the camera fix mod, should not be to hard to changed npc,

but adding them as followers,etc would prob need the ai of the dog

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/mightyjoe-y/Skyrim/TESV2012-01-2901-50-00-81.jpg

well was wondering the same thing, u can change yourself into creatures with the camera fix mod, should not be to hard to changed npc,

but adding them as followers,etc would prob need the ai of the dog

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/mightyjoe-y/Skyrim/TESV2012-01-2901-50-00-81.jpg

Thanks for the input guys,

Ive tried that before on a dog, and it just dissapears, and if you try it on someone and it works, they cant fly, or attack.

Also, I want to make the size of the dragon smaller... I know you can just do setscale in the console commands, but that doesnt change the actual size (i dont know the word for it). So it cant go it small places, caves. Not to mention, its annoying having a huge dragon following you, because its constantly pushing you around lol. I dont necesarrily mean making the dragon the size of an imp (unless i make a baby one or something), but I want to make one about horse size... like a juvenile/maturing dragon.