Open Community  ·  796 members

Stardew Valley

Mod Request: Pet Food Mod

IllogicalMoodSwing

Hello, wonderful modders! I've got some ideas for a mod that might bring a bit more purpose to choosing a pupper or kitter for your farm pet.

While I can create some new sprites, I've had a go digging around in the game code and I can't even identify the event for filling the pet bowl :down: So, I've run straight to the forums in case someone wants to assist this newbie (or take over, that would be fine too).

Basically, my idea is to create a mod that replaces the 'fill water bowl' action.

• Affects friendship
    • This is pretty critical for increased functionality, otherwise the rest of the ideas are basically cosmetic
    • Could increase hearts when bowl is filled, or lose friendship if forgotten
  • Replacement sprite for full water bowl, will fill with 'food'
  • Replacement object - will not use watering can but another new object sprite
    • A new can sprite, or a recoloured fertiliser box mebbe
  • New recipe
    • Pet food: combine eggs + fish + milk

I would love to learn how to put this together, but the complexity might exceed my abilities and/or your patience.

Wanna help?

Update: I found the 'fill bowl' event, but it's dependent on a tool and tool action.

}

if (t is WateringCan && (t as WateringCan).WaterLeft > 0 && this.getTileIndexAt(tileX, tileY, "Buildings") == 1938)

this.setMapTileIndex(tileX, tileY, 1939, "Buildings", 0);

return false;

}

This matches the 'empty' and 'full' bowl tile indexes from Farm.tbin.

It could be worth exploring whether the 'tool' dependency could be replaced with an object (in this case, a cooked dish) - currently, the 'use' function of a dish can be either 'consume' or 'gift' depending on who/what is clicked, so maybe it can be rewritten for the bowl tile?

I'll keep hunting, but I have no idea what I'm doing!