90Az

I'm new to the forums, and the only real reason I joined is to get help with this really annoying problem I've been having for the last few days, so I don't really know if there is a specific place I should post this.

So I've been using Mod Organizer to mod Oblivion rather than NMM and everything's been working great. The only thing I'm having a lot of trouble with is getting body mods to work with it. I have ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated working properly, I start Oblivion properly outside of MO so that OBSE works. I do everything right but I just can't get HGEC (along with ZKEC to replace it) and Robert's male bodies to work.

Do any of you have any idea as to what the problem might be? Is there a specific way to install them with MO?

Wait, after installing mods with MO you start the game without it? That's the same as starting the game without the mods installed. MO only installs mods virtually, not like NMM as actual physically existent links but so the files and folders will only be present while MO is running. It is paramount and inevitable to start your game through MO, if you want anything you installed with MO to be present while it runs.

As for where'd be the right place to ask questions such as this, the MO comments section comes to mind as the first place I'd think of doing it in.

That said, the people and postings there will surely tell you also how to use OBSE from inside MO, as it is impossible to use MO for your mods and start Oblivion outside of it at the same time, just so that OBSE works. Because if you do that, OBSE will exactly be the "only" thing that'll be working then.

edit: Disclaimer: I don't know much about MO myself, am not using it either, so I won't be of much help with this here, just know what it does and basically how.

To have OBSE work with MO, you would need to set the "launch mechanism" to "script extender" in the workarounds tab of MO preferences. That should create a "hook.dll" and "mo_path.txt" in your OBSE plugins folder. That way OBSE will load the hook.dll, which will in turn load MO and your mods will also be loaded. And one more thing: if you have a Steam version of Oblivion, you would want to go to the same workarounds tab of MO preferences and click the "date-back BSAs" button there to set the Steam version BSA dates to something older. This is for the 1.3.11 version at least, I have not managed to make the newer ones work properly with Oblivion.

I spent an awful lot of hours (thanks to my inexperience with everything) last summer writing a Python module for using the usvfs system (it works but is far from beautiful thanks to my lack of time), and from what I have noticed, it works by first loading the appropriate dll file (for example I took the usvfs_x86.dll from MO 2.0.4 or something), then calling functions from the dll to create a filesystem and feed the linkages into it, and then calling a special function to spawn a hooked process that will get to use that filesystem. The actual header of interest is the usvfs.h at Github. If someone is interested. I think Tannin is a genious. Virtual mod installations the usvfs way are definitely the future of mod installation. Mods consist of more and more files, and are larger in size, and people use more and more mods, so virtual installs are a must in my opinion. It just makes things so clean and easy. Go Tannin! :happy:

Hopefully the new mod manager the Nexus team (including Tannin) are working on will be something great (with true virtual file installation option). MO is good, but is no longer fully supported (for Oblivion at least, I think) and still has a bunch of flaws here and there. NMM sounds like something awful (never tried it myself) and does not even have proper virtual file installation option from what I have heard (the bug reports make it sound like symbolic links or somesuch). Wrye Bash lacks virtual file installations completely and OBMM is just out of question. Hopefully it will be possible to move forward at some point, and hopefully the new manager will fulfill all my expectations - expectations that are everything but modest. :tongue:

Edited by Contrathetix

@

DrakeTheDragon

I have workarounds going so I don't need to worry about running Oblivion through MO

@

Contrathetix

I'll try out the "date-back BSAs" thing you mentioned. One thing I forgot to mention is how no texture or mesh replacers work except for OCOv2. Also, do you or anyone know how to install either of the body mods with MO?

*****edit*****

ok, so back dating the BSAs worked for HGEC but Robert's and ZKEC are so weird to install using MO that nothing is going on with them. I'll have to try messing around with them a while. Thanks a lot for the back-date suggestion.

Edited by 90Az

Back-dating the BSA archives is something the Steam version of Oblivion requires, and is not really connected to MO. The file dates for the BSA archives are too recent, so the game somehow uses them instead of any loose files. Setting the BSA timestamps to something older allows the game to use any installed replacers instead of the originals that are inside the archives.

As for the mods... manually restructuring usually helps if a mod has a folder structure MO does not understand. The final mod that is in your MO's mods folder needs to be ready for "drag-and-drop" to the data folder (with the mod directory being the "data folder"... sort of...). So if a mod is activated in MO but has an odd folder structure then the game will not find the files where it expects them to be. Manually restructuring a mod usually solves it, but takes some time. :thumbsup: