My Poor Thumbs

MRG

I don't know how you console gamers do it, controlling your movement with your thumb on the analog stock & your other fingers mashing buttons.. Being as i'm a real gamer, in other words I game on the PC, I don't really have much use for game controllers, as I always use the Mouse & Keyboard & i'm not a sports fan so sports games are kinda out for me, which would be better played with a gamepad.

Well for some reason, a year ago I bought one of these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41W3KYYHFXL._AA280_.jpg

It's great as it has these fans built into the controller itself, to help fight Sweaty-Hand syndrome. Works rather well I must admit. Well like I said, I bought one of these controllers & then promptly put it into the bottom drawer of my desk in my office & forgot about it. Then I am sent a game from a friend to review & wouldn't you know, the darn keyboard & mouse setup, just wasn't working out all that well. Then I had a lightbulb turn on upstairs & thought that it might be a good idea to plug in the new & unused Nyko AirFlo EX controller & give it a try.

OMG.. both my thumbs have blisters now. :blink:

Oh, the game I was sent was Warriors Orochi. Kinda like Dynasty Warriors. It's extremely addicting which is odd in itself, as as a general rule, I tend to try to avoid Console ports, but the type of gameplay Warriors Orochi offers has always interested me & since the console I do own, which is the Wii, does not yet have a large selection of games of this type, though they ARE on the way, I have read, I was happy to get Warriors Orochi.

Perhaps it's because I am new to games of this type, & so havn't played games like God of War, I think the game kicks ass & is extremely fun to play. Very repatitious & the graphics are not that impressive, bit it's still very fun to play. Hacking & slashing my way through thousandes of enemies is a great stress reliever. However, my poor thumbs...

Warriors Orochi Trailer

http://www.g4tv.com/trailers/videos/20608/...Orochi__PC.html

-MRG

thats what the gel-tabs are for :D they make my thumbs resist the blisters of death for quite a bit longer.

also, electrical tape helps too lol.

You review games??? Wow!!!

/me wants to be like MRG when he's older.

My thumbs are much better now. See :thumbsup:

I don't review games in an official manner, such as say you would find at IGN or Gamestop. I used to, at sites like DC Central, Newegg forums & at a few others, but then it turned into being too much like work & for me, PC Gaming is all about having fun & being able to relax. Nothing else. That & since I met my wife a decade ago, I kinda had to give up on my "other activities". It's amazing the things you give up for the woman you love & since I don't like the Bar scenes & drinking in general, I'm kinda stuck with letting my frustrations out in-game & when I can get away, Fishing, which is my other vice.

I have noticed a trend that I tend to find amusing. When it comes to typing up my thoughts about a PC Game, my reviews tend to be the opposite of what the "Major" publications end up saying in their reviews. I guess it's my small attempt to stand up for the under-dog or in this case, the under-small-company-Devs. Not to say that I don't enjoy the higher profile games or that I give them bad reviews, only that I feel that i'm more understanding when it comes to a small, low budget company that makes & releases games.

Sorry for rambling on. I tend to do that. :P

-MRG

• 4 weeks later...

Well, years of playing Street Fighter and Mortal Combat with friends, followed by Tekken and Soul Calibur must have hardened my thumbs, because I honestly never had any painful problems with them.

On the other hand using a mouse for extended periods of time can lead to a bruised wrist for me. Luckily a mousepad with gel inlay solves that problem easily. :rolleyes:

Archived