Skyrim level scaling?

daekness

IMO the scaling is fine. Its scaled to fit your opponents at the given level you are, because they sort of expect you to be using a new armor and following a new questline in a while.

However, looking at the scaled items, they're not so bad considering there's still a lot of non scaled items out there, like the Daedric artifacts. Besides, even without exploits you can craft better items than the leveled ones on your own.

You can always just learn to make your own best armors and weapons in the game. Maybe focus on smithing and enchanting before doing any quests? I find it more rewarding compared to using something I happened to find somewhere or was given to me. I often do the unthinkable by taking the best enchanted stuff and breaking them down, even if it was better than what I could do at the time.

In such an open ended game you kind of need it. If you didn't have it, the game would be very linear, like zelda, or WoW, or whatever.

Scaling and linearity/openness has not much to do with each other.

As I just explained (do people read the threads before they respond to it?), if the whole scale would be turned down, it would all be less a problem to make the world turn around the PC.

Higher quality weapons and armor for higher levels. It makes it so that you can't have end game gear at level 1. Why is that bad?

Because it means you have to wait for getting better equipment before finishing the quest. Its also highly unrealistic, why should the same reward be magically better depending on you?

The basic problem they have is, the you and the whole game scales too much and they try to fix to symptoms. If for example on the cap you would 3-5 times as strong as in the beginning, there wouldn't be so much need to scale-fix everything. Currently I don't know its hard to say summed all up, you end up 100 times as strong? 1000? ... Its just out of proportion IMHO.

Thats why I'm really hoping someone makes a mod to adjust drop rates to be more intuitive.

There are probably two paths they could take - just have everything be more rare, or find some way of restrict loot to certain mob levels. Ie that common bandit only has fur etc, while that draugr deathlord over there has something significantly better, so that loot actually makes sense based on the npc you just fought. (hopefully not ebony automatically, however.)

In such an open ended game you kind of need it. If you didn't have it, the game would be very linear, like zelda, or WoW, or whatever.

Scaling and linearity/openness has not much to do with each other.

As I just explained (do people read the threads before they respond to it?), if the whole scale would be turned down, it would all be less a problem to make the world turn around the PC.

I'm not sure that would make everyone happy. I, for one, like starting out with a character that feels real fear when a bear is blocking the path ahead, but by the end of game can take down an ancient dragon without help, tho maybe still feeling some fear. It seems appropriate for a character who may be the last of the dragonborn and destined to defeat Alduin.

I often don't like the leveling system when I'm thinking as an omniscient player who knows that things are leveled, but as I RP my character doesn't know that a certain item was leveled so no biggie. That's just how things unfolded for that character.

I do go back on forth on this, but am hard pressed to think of a better solution for all gamers.

but by the end of game can take down an ancient dragon without help

Thats the kind of overpowering that should stop to make good games. Hell in other games (two worlds) I could wipe out the whole army wihtout any effort. You can still make a story where you kill an ancient dragon without help, but please with a story device (like a special shout that takes the dragon down - more powerful than dragonrend). Not being a super-mega-duper-human that is faster-stronger-and-you-know-what than a 600 tons heavy ancient dragon... dragonborn nice and fine, but when it gets down to slit up open a tank, kill its innhabitans and then throw it against your oppononents, well at the cap the PC is usually more powerful than Chuck Norris and Rockie combined, maybe throw batman into it as well.

This is also where all DLC becomes either super-strange with also super-mega-guys all over the place or boring. If the player would kinda stop as just being max. twice as strong as any NPC in this world, it would keep DLCs still kinda interesting. And you win by going the story the right way, instead of walking just over everything.

Edited by faifh

but by the end of game can take down an ancient dragon without help

Thats the kind of overpowering that should stop to make good games. Hell in other games (two worlds) I could wipe out the whole army wihtout any effort. You can still make a story where you kill an ancient dragon without help, but please with a story device (like a special shout that takes the dragon down - more powerful than dragonrend). Not being a super-mega-duper-human that is faster-stronger-and-you-know-what than a 600 tons heavy ancient dragon... dragonborn nice and fine, but when it gets down to slit up open a tank, kill its innhabitans and then throw it against your oppononents, well at the cap the PC is usually more powerful than Chuck Norris and Rockie combined, maybe throw batman into it as well.

This is also where all DLC becomes either super-strange with also super-mega-guys all over the place or boring. If the player would kinda stop as just being max. twice as strong as any NPC in this world, it would keep DLCs still kinda interesting. And you win by going the story the right way, instead of walking just over everything.

Ah, but my DLC (false) hope is for being a divine, following the similar path as that of Talos.

Now imgagine following:

You dont have level scaled items anymore. You do the Thiefes Guild Quest or DB or whatever aaaaand ... get totaly overpowered items just because you finished it at lvl, lets say 5 and those items are supposed for characters around lvl 15 or 20 or whatever.

Want Level restrictions?

Let's take a look at this from the other direction....

Loot/mobs AREN'T level scaled, so, you go off on some high zoot mission, only to discover that the boss you need to rip off/kill/get past, is significantly higher level than you, and easily whacks you dead in one or two hits......

Some quests would REQUIRE that you be higher level to have any hope of completing them, as opposed to being able to do anything at level one.

There is a video on youtube of a guy doing the entire mainquest for Oblivion, at level 1.....

^This^

I don't know why Bethesda can't understand this.