Porting Content From Other Games - What's allowed?

gmillar

I've noticed a bunch of mods porting over some awesome armour rests from The Witcher 2. I'm a big fan of these, use them all, and have modified some for my own use. I've also come across a few offering content from Dragon Age 2, which is awesome. Both these games have really good art direction. I saw the the DA2 one was removed pretty quickly after being posted here on The Nexus, but TW2 mods keep on coming.

I'm currently working on an Imperial armour overhaul, based on Armour of the Fallen from DA2, with mesh changes and significant retexturing to make each type unique. Do I need to worry about getting banned if I post it up here?

Some WIP shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Gavaar/ScreenShot16.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Gavaar/ScreenShot15.jpg

Witcher 2 models, meshes, and textures can be ported, because the creators of the game have given full permission for people to export those models, textures, meshes to other games as long as credit is given (and they can be uploaded legally). The only other game, that I can think of that has done that is STALKER.

Reiterating the above, certain developers (ie CD Projekt) have given their permission to use content from their games. If you're interested in porting content from other games, shoot a message to the developer of your interest (believe it or not, they actually reply) or don't talk about it here. (I know because I've done modding for another game (X3) before and gone through the whole chain of emails required to get official permission. ) Edited by jimhsu

From the TOS all modders to when we upload anything:

Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws (such as Russia).

All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. If you cannot provide proof of consent when asked then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme.

This also goes for other Bethesda games-- you can't just grab stuff from Morrowind or Oblivion or the Fallouts, for example. There have been a very few exceptions as noted above-- but when in doubt, don't upload until AFTER you have talked with one of the mods.

EDIT: Basically, your mod looks great-- but as Skree000 said, uploading them will almost certainly get you banned, unless you did the entire thing from scratch (and can prove it if asked).

You mean until you've talked with one of the Admins, right?

I'm so confused. What a strange use of the word.

Strange...? Not really. Mods == moderators here. Dark0ne, as far as I know, is the only one with an Admin title.

Edit: Of course, now that I write that, I'm sure to be wrong!