Viable Spellsword/1h+spell char

Krim21

Hi all,

I've played many different chars in Skyrim, including a 2h warr, sword and board, pure mage, and a stealther dagger/bow. What I have yet to play, is a hybrid spellsword/1h + spell character due to the lack of any focus for skills in this specialty.

I remember the teaser gameplay vids pre-release that heavily featured spells + 1h weapons, but let's face it - there isn't much to encourage players to actually continue this style throughout the game, as it is soon outpaced by, well, any other kind of build!

You can't block, you can't match duel-wield spell power, and there are no bonuses such as wielding a shield gives you. I'm not proposing overpowered skills such as being able to block while spellswording, or stealing other skills from other trees - I'm suggesting that this very creative community perhaps devise a new tree with unique bonuses for those wanting to go down the battlemage/spellsword path. Maybe an in-built dodge, similiar to the light armor tree? A boost to spell damage/effectiveness when a 1h weapon is equipped in the other hand? Or maybe, when the modset comes out, a unique kind of power attack that uses both the equipped spell and weapon?

Let me know what you think, guys. I'm sure there are some great ideas floating around out there, and certainly a modder capable of such a thing on this site!

Cheers,

Krim

bump.

Why bump? you were still on the first page. Mine are all good ideas, and get ignored while people reply to posts about giant toads...its infuriating how much actual gameplay improving mods get ignored in this forum. ANYWAYS.

I fixed the spell sword problem by using a mod that changed the destruction spell tree to increase spell damage in addition to reducing spell cost. It worked out great.

I would like to see that too, but have no great feasible ideas. One possibility would be to add some physical effect to spells while they are active - like slowing down an enemy with a spell that is active only while being cast (like novice destruction spells) or slowly pushing him away from you, so that you can maneuver and dodge more easily (since dodging is nearly impossible in vanilla).

Anyway, I think it boils down to introducing some cool active-while-being-cast spells, since only they would make a spellsword type make any sense (and not like unequip shield - summon dremora - equip shield). Oh, and allowing to cast such spell AND attack with a sword simultaneously would also make sense. And maybe deleting the 1 second delay that occurs while switching spells and new spell becoming "castable" (or is it my mouse lag?), so that switching spells with one hand is plain faster.

I think that 1 or 2 extra perks for that could be just added to the one-handed tree.

Don't bump again or I will lock this thread and you may earn a strike.

It's not surprising gameplay mod requests are being "ignored" right now. We don't have a decent tool for creating well-crafted mods yet. According to BethBlog we should see the release of the Creation Kit by the end of the month and serious tes modders will get down to business. Finally.

Apologies for the bump, i must have missed the part that said they weren't allowed.

Anyway, I just find it frustrating that something featured so heavily in teaser trailers and gameplay vids in early days, is not viable at all past a few hours into the game. I agree that there must be some bonus for discouraging the old swap-out-shield/swap-back-to-spell routine, and an ongoing spell effect, as suggested, may possibly be the solution. I'm guessing at this point, as stated above, the only option may be to use the mod that increases the damage of destro spells, however I have heard that this sort of thing also affects mobs and causes things like hargravens to obliterate everything :P keep up the interest and perhaps the thread will get the attention of an able modder! :)

Cheers,

Krim