My experience on not fast traveling

brump

I find that it's actually not that you forbid yourself from using fast traveling; it's that you take to the road and just go. Just go. Forget about where you are supposed to go, and just stroll along.

The first time I did that was when I disabled compass in skyrimpref.ini (bShowCompass=0) and fast travel (command enablefasttravel 0). I was somewhere in the Reach, forsworn territory. I was not familiar with that area and I have no idea about where the roads lead to. I hopped on Shadowmere and just go.

Without the HUD compass, your exploration switched from constantly looking at the HUD for black markers and rushing to it, to looking at the environment for signs of locations of interest. You explore not because it's there, but because you don't know what is there.

With the help of direction signs, I just went in the direction I thought would lead up to Solitude. Somehow I stumbled across Rorikstead for the first time, helped out with Erik the Slayer and got him as a companion.

The game world for the first time felt real when you are no longer rushing and hurrying.

Indeed. I think it makes the game too much into a dance dance revolution machine. When did you last stop at a crossing to look at the signs to decide which way you need to go? A compass that gives you only north/east etc. would be fine. But the medieval GPS system? Seriously, yes IMHO you lose more than it brings. I remember when I first played a game that had this quest pointers all the way (Lineage 2) and thought, oh dear where has this world come to. Can they do it any more simpler?

Could as well add a big white transparent HUD over all.

WALK

WALK

WALK

OPEN DOOR

WALK

TALK

SAY YES TO QUEST

WALK

FAST TRAVEL

WALK

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

LOOT!

WALK

If you turn off the compass, you can simply use the stars and sun for directional information.

A totally UI-less conversion would be pretty awesome, a backpack for your items, opening chests would show actual items inside, you'd have to dig out your septims to pay for items and so on.

Edited by BrknSoul

Skyrim Compass Tuner is a great mod for disabling not only compass markers, but also some markers on the map.

If anyone knows how to stop the map centering on my char also it would be great, 'cause it's not so hard to figure where you are ( in the midlle of map :facepalm: )

Another good mod for improving the immersion is A Quality World Map, where roads are added to the original map. I use the version with main roads only.