Just a guess for the files

Nightstarwolf

First of all, I need to thank all those genius modders out there.

Most kept an eye on quality and tryed to do their best to serve all players with their ideas, fantasys and work.

By this, we got the possibility to change a great game a bit more and beyond a point, Beth never thought of. ;)

But now to my idea:

If you watch out for files, their are sorted by their main meaning, like armor, weapon, etc.

But in this sections, its sorted by letter.

IMHO...it may be better to add another list (sorted by material), so if someone looks for ebony armor f.e., he did not need to scroll through the whole lists

as some ppl. like to give their files some fantastic names, but just somewhere in the middle, you find, its ebony or dwarven.

Just for those, who may say "OK, so just use the search function"....I did a lot of times, and this function does NOT show all results.

Just to avoid this and make such searches for all users a bit more friendly, I ask for my idea.

Let me hear your opinions ;)

My opinions:

1) Gahh! Orange? What possessed you to changed the default font colour?

2) WTF are you talking about?

I beleive the OP is saying that, on the Nexus database, mods are sorted based on their general content. Houses, Weapons, Apparel, Armour, Companions, Quests etc.

Within each category, you can sort them based on popularity (Ascending or decending) and alphabetical order.

Now, what i understand the OP to be suggesting is that an option be added to sort them based on 'material'. IE you click Ebony and it shows all the armours marked as Ebony. You click Steel and it shows all the armours marked Steel. Is that correct?

@ Lachdonin:

Aye...thats right.

As a lot of mods sadly made as retex, its strongly recommended to know, WHAT will be retexted.

If someone does a mod, which may be called as Dwarven armor, but will replace an elven armor just to look as dwarven

and you search it by function, it may be shown under dwarven...if ever.

If the author may named it as "Super Illusion" (just for example), its found there...not by its replace.

So, best, if those mods could be placed in lists, what they may show (if standalone) or replace (if retex).

Will make ppl choose easier, as nothing is more frustrating as you found a nice mod,

add it and find out later on, you just killed another loved mod...just by doubling the retex.

@Brknsoul:

Sorry for changing color on text...didn`t want to shock ppl. by watching a color on a webpage ;)

Edited by Nightstarwolf

Alright, now that its clear, theres only one issue i see with such a feature. It would require modders to select another mod 'type' when categorising a weapon or armour mod. You would require it broken down into, roughly, the TES (For TES games) materials, some of which aren't even present in Skyrim.

For instance, in Skyrim we have...

Fur

Leather

Scale

Iron

Steel

Dwarven

Elven

Orcish

Ebony

Glass

Daedric

Dragon

But Skyrim is missing...

Bonemould/Chitten

Trollbone

Mithril

Laminanted (Blackmarsh wooden armours)

Then you have problems in categorization. For instance, if somoene wanted to put in that sword from Soul Caliber (The one with the eye... you all know what it is) where would it fit? How about Blade's sword? If you just offered an 'other' category you'd probably see 90% of the mods in it, which wouldn't organize anything any better.

I do think, however, that people need to be a little more consise in titles and in mod descriptons about exactly what they did. Adding in a mod with the description "Retextures some weapons and armour" leaves things absurdly vague.

*Ps, on your quote...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

Edited by Lachdonin

As there'll be a lot, and a lot more of new armor and clothing, with new models, this sorting would not be too efficient. I'd rather suggest having armor sorted into Heavy/Light -> Realistic/Unrealistic -> Possibly even filtered skimpy or not, so those of us who wouldn't like to have to look through piles and piles of revealing chain bikini just to find that awesome armor that actually looks like it would protect oneself, could find one fitting to their tastes. That's just me though. Edited by Neokore

Probably a few guesses, how to solve:

1.)

Name the mod by its replace....like Nightingale Retex....or Nightingale (standalone)...

so it would fit the cathegorization we have atm.

Ppl. want to know, what will be replaced, not any "nice-fantasy-name"...if all would be sorted by them, nothing could be found anymore.

2.)

Adding one more stage to the menu wouldn`t be that much work...as other forums/webspaces offer such too and are easy to manage.

(As its just a one-time-change)

3.)

For those materials, which are NOT in Skyrim now, its easy to use one chapter like "others" or such.

So evrything, which hardly fits to a usual group, may be placed here.

Watching the mods, just a small percentage of all mods would fall into this one.