Is overclocking a solution

passprogress

Thank you for taking time to read and answer to my problem if you can.

I have a I7 950 3.06 GHZ, GTX 470 1280MB, 6 gig ram. Mostly in outdoor spot with lots of tree(i have all Trees graphic mods), in riften(HD mod) or in some area with lots of effect i get some FPS drop to as low as 15 only when i turn the camera(i use a 360 controller and heard it was cause it but im not gonna use a mouse and keyboard for sure). Then i would stay around 22 to 27 until i change for a different area where it go back to to 40 in average but can easily top 60(i use vertical sync since i have a 120HZ LCD and get screen tearing above 60). So what should i overclock ? Cpu to 4ghz and my GPU or only my CPU or only my GPU.

I have a I7 950 3.06 GHZ, GTX 470 1280MB, 6 gig ram. Mostly in outdoor spot with lots of tree(i have all Trees graphic mods), in riften(HD mod) or in some area with lots of effect i get some FPS drop to as low as 15 only when i turn the camera(i use a 360 controller and heard it was cause it but im not gonna use a mouse and keyboard for sure). Then i would stay around 22 to 27 until i change for a different area where it go back to to 40 in average but can easily top 60(i use vertical sync since i have a 120HZ LCD and get screen tearing above 60). So what should i overclock ? Cpu to 4ghz and my GPU or only my CPU or only my GPU.

Overclocking is never really a solution to anything. Let's say you manage to overclock your CPU to 4ghz and get it stable. Let's pretend that a 30% increase in CPU will result in a 30% increase in frame rate. That means your framerate in these trouble spots would go from 15 to 20. So now you've made your system more likely to crash, for a gain of a whopping 5 fps.

And of course in real life there is no way a 30% increase in CPU MHz will result in a 30% framerate gain, because framerate is not solely CPU bound.

Your solution is pretty obvious: get rid of some of "all Trees graphic mods" you have installed.

Overclocking is never really a solution to anything. Let's say you manage to overclock your CPU to 4ghz and get it stable. Let's pretend that a 30% increase in CPU will result in a 30% increase in frame rate. That means your framerate in these trouble spots would go from 15 to 20. So now you've made your system more likely to crash, for a gain of a whopping 5 fps.

And of course in real life there is no way a 30% increase in CPU MHz will result in a 30% framerate gain, because framerate is not solely CPU bound.

Your solution is pretty obvious: get rid of some of "all Trees graphic mods" you have installed.

If i buy a GTX 570 2560mb would that help enough to stay above 30 at all time and stay above 50 in average ?

Edited by passprogress

If i buy a GTX 570 2560mb would that help enough to stay above 30 at all time and stay above 50 in average ?

it will help, of course, but don't expect more than 10% FPS improvement

also some low latency DDR3 RAM would be ok

as for overclocking, if your mobo permits, you can also squeeze some more 10% by upping your CPU and RAM voltage and frequncy

just go for small steps and always monitor your temperatures

Top GPUs comes overclocked already from the factory.

it will help, of course, but don't expect more than 10% FPS improvement

also some low latency DDR3 RAM would be ok

as for overclocking, if your mobo permits, you can also squeeze some more 10% by upping your CPU and RAM voltage and frequncy

just go for small steps and always monitor your temperatures

Top GPUs comes overclocked already from the factory.

i was also wondering if a Corsair Th650w PSU is enough for a GTX 570 oc