CTD looting or shop inventory

SpartanXZero

Hello, relatively newbie mod user here, I've been on n off modding my game from small scale to large scale with relative success (an plenty of failures in the learning process) for the last few months on n off.

I've followed the STEP process, following the CORE build then branch off from there to tailor the mod more to my liking.

Now my issue. Is a CTD with inventory or shop inventory interaction. It's not constant, and appears to be random with a few minor cases. I should also clarify it's also not an actual CTD, but simply locks up the moment I interact. the UI switches to an inventory framework, but locks up before showing any items. So I can't exactly narrow down to if it's a particular item from content added, or simply generic content of particular note.

I have a strong notion it is item related, as it seems NPCs that have sparked the issue tend to be bandits, wearing fur/hide equipment, but I could be wrong.

I did uninstall gear content mods, in hopes the issue would clear up. In one particular incident I had happen during a savegame on a followers quest line. The save started me in whiterun and involved going to a cave system bandit hideout. To which I removed mods and attempted to repeat but the issue with the same particular NPC kept occurring.

To which I concluded 3 notions.

1. The content mods were not the issue.

2. The savegame had already pre-generated the gear in question to which mod removal didn't clear the issue, even if the item(s) causing the CTD were removed.

3. Something completely different than what I'm thinking it could be.

NPCs that have so far generated the problem. Bandits in cave southeast of Whiterun from Jenassa's questline. NPC shopkeeper in the huntsman lodge at Whiterun. So, if it's items, I'm guessing it's either leather/hide/fur, or bow/arrows.

Any ideas on how to find the culprit breaking my game?

Edited by SpartanXZero

Any mod that modifies LOOT LISTS [leveled-items are randomized with lists] .

Often, Bandit-bosses and merchants use the same loot-lists and it is not possible to guess which mod of list is to blame.

I am talking about: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=LeveledItem

Maybe a mod added torches to containers or lists (torch01 item is a LIGHT not an ITEM).

Maybe a mod adds a bazillion things and your CPU gets jacked up (I love "Piratelords Loot Adjustments" but it lags my game sometimes)...

No way for someone else to guess.

If I want to find out which mod is Fracked, or I guess it is "leveled lists" or "form lists" to blame, I'll use TES5EDIT [aka 'xedit'] and open one mod at a time and scroll down the nodes in the tree and look at leveled lists. Maybe a mod is still installed but the meshes and textures (loos files or BSA) are missing. That would do it too....

If it is a leveled item you could backup your save, load and

~ player.advlevel (maybe three to five times). Or

~ resetinterior 000B6BE6 [or 'EmbershardMine01'] for example

If it is just one bandit, click on him in console ant type resetinventory

in console you can select an NPC [each one is a container] and type inv [see their loot].

If that list shows a faulty item, do resetinventory again 'til it doesn't.

If it is a leveled item you could backup your save, load and

~ player.advlevel (maybe three to five times). Or

~ resetinterior 000B6BE6 [or 'EmbershardMine01'] for example

If it is just one bandit, click on him in console ant type resetinventory

in console you can select an NPC [each one is a container] and type inv [see their loot].

If that list shows a faulty item, do resetinventory again 'til it doesn't.

Thank you for those ideas. At least that will potentially give me some clues to read the inventory without opening the character, if I already know that NPC is fracked. It could help narrow it down some.

I was unaware of those console commands. I'm late to the Skyrim party so to say, I've only had the game for less than a year, and only spent half that actually playing on an off, decided to just dive into figuring out the modding aspect to get the full bang for my buck experience. So many games to play, so little time to finish them all. :)

On another note, after messing with load orders and recompiling with LOOT a few times, junking a few redundant mods and useless mods (taking up an esp slot for next to no actual immersion experience). I also eliminated Amidians skyforge weapons (since every item will not register textures showing up as purple, no matter how I structure that mod in my list) I haven't had a re-occurrence since.

Also, same save game that had the NPC shopkeep at the Huntsman lodge who crashed when interacted with, no longer crashing. This is not to say that CTD won't resurface somewhere else, so far, so good.