ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

A few questions about landscaping

I have a few questions about using the editor if anyone would be so kind :)

1. How do I properly toggle editing for cells? Sometimes I can't edit and it seems more common now because I have so much on the map but what I do is find something in the cell, let's say a lantern and double click it in the cell editor so i can edit the world around it. It's not very practical. Surely there's an easier way.

2. How do I know for sure which quad I'm in? There's no labels as far as I can see and if I want to say, delete a texture layer, I have no idea even if I'm in the middle of the quad it might be any of them.

3. Is there a way to prevent the CK from using up so much page file? I was editing for about 2 hours yesterday and my RAM wasn't being used much but yet it ate about 30gb of HDD which is most of what I have left. Closing the CK gave it room to breathe. (btw it always crashes upon closing without fail)

4. If I want to apply a texture smaller than 1 on my map, then I presume I have to use an object with the desired texture instead?

I don't need all the answers but #1 and #2 are the most important. I google but either threads are too old to view on some forums or I just can't seem to find the answers. Thanks for the help!

I have a few questions about using the editor if anyone would be so kind :)

1. How do I properly toggle editing for cells? Sometimes I can't edit and it seems more common now because I have so much on the map but what I do is find something in the cell, let's say a lantern and double click it in the cell editor so i can edit the world around it. It's not very practical. Surely there's an easier way.

2. How do I know for sure which quad I'm in? There's no labels as far as I can see and if I want to say, delete a texture layer, I have no idea even if I'm in the middle of the quad it might be any of them.

3. Is there a way to prevent the CK from using up so much page file? I was editing for about 2 hours yesterday and my RAM wasn't being used much but yet it ate about 30gb of HDD which is most of what I have left. Closing the CK gave it room to breathe. (btw it always crashes upon closing without fail)

4. If I want to apply a texture smaller than 1 on my map, then I presume I have to use an object with the desired texture instead?

I don't need all the answers but #1 and #2 are the most important. I google but either threads are too old to view on some forums or I just can't seem to find the answers. Thanks for the help!

1. How do I properly toggle editing for cells?

Just don't have the cell selected or open.

Select another cell, then you can edit the one you want.

2. How do I know for sure which quad I'm in?

I drop an xmarker down, name it, then look at the cell view window - right hand pane - and see if the xmarker is in the cell I think I am in. If it is, then it's the right one, and name the cell something I can remember.

3. Is there a way to prevent the CK from using up so much page file?

Hard drives need free space for the operating system to do its thing. I typically try and keep 20% of the drive free at all times for the operating system to do its thing.

Not sure if the CK has memory leaks, but I treat it as though it does.

Save, close the CK, back up the current .esp being worked on, then open the CK again and continue working. I typically end up with about 7 .esp backups per session. This also keeps any potential ck crashes down to a minimum.

Not sure what this means?