• 3/10
    • 4/10
    • 5/10
    • 6/10
    • 7/10
    • 8/10
    • 9/10
    • 10/10

When compared to Dragon Age 2, Skyrim wasn't overhyped at all.

One teaser (with the tapestry), one real life trailer (which was very well made), one ingame trailer.

No stupid facebook games, no distributor-bundled DLC, no paying Penny Arcade to write comics or create useless DLC items, no freaking hustler feature of the nude girl characters ... an no idiot announcing the BUTTON OF AWESOME!

Nah, it was confidently marketed and since it delivered on every front, it wasn't overhyped - per definition.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that "hype" doesn't have to be generated by the producer. Reviewers contribute just as much to the excitement surrounding a game and the sales it generates. Bethesda keeps bragging about how they've received "over 200 perfect scores" and how Skyrim has been called, "The Best RPG of all time". Would you agree with those statements?

''Was Skyrim overhyped?''

No, it was false advertised like other bethesta products. Besides, one would think after all the hype and advertising done by them, they'd release a finished and polished product.

Edited by azaltan

I do not agree with ANY "best something of all time" declaration. It's like saying that no one will ever make something better.

And given that they did receive overwhelmingly glowing reviews from magazines and users alike (excempting the poor bug-ridden PS3 buyers), I'd say they have earned the right to brag.

They even conviced japanese gamers and reviewers (and everyone knows how xenophobic that lot is), which is an even more convincing achievement.

And I personally can say that Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever made. I played lots of those and I think I started with ultima 4. :)

I do not agree with ANY "best something of all time" declaration. It's like saying that no one will ever make something better.

And given that they did receive overwhelmingly glowing reviews from magazines and users alike (excempting the poor bug-ridden PS3 buyers), I'd say they have earned the right to brag.

They even conviced japanese gamers and reviewers (and everyone knows how xenophobic that lot is), which is an even more convincing achievement.

And I personally can say that Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever made. I played lots of those and I think I started with ultima 4. :)

Fair enough, that's your opinion. Personally, I feel that Morrowind and Ultima 7 (all four chapters, but particularly the first two) were far better RPGs than Skyrim.

Im not going to say what grade I would give this game, I will just say that I have logged 445 hours so far and the number will be at least double that before too long. Thank you Bethesda, modders, and the Nexus community who all desrve the hype, kudos, credit, love, etc. :thumbsup:

Over hyped by whom? It does not makes sense for a developer to under hype or just blaw hype their own game. Their staff would probably leave after the company went under. The hype I was exposed to was never directly from Beth. I don't visit company websites much at all, nor seek out trailers, because I know that is just advertising for something that might suck.

The hype I got was from gamers who had actually played the game. And I would never say their own experiences were wrong or describe them as over-hyping. Lots of people love this game. Is that so bad? I'm glad to see the genre taking off. To me, it means much more to come. BTW, without the gamer reviews, I'd might never had played a TES game. This was my first, thanks to the hype.

BTW, without the gamer reviews, I'd might never had played a TES game. This was my first, thanks to the hype.

I think this may be one of the big variables that dictates which way people vote in this poll. Longtime TES gamers will remember how Morrowind essentially took all the best parts of Daggerfall, improved pretty much every mechanic, and revolutionized the concept of "sandbox gaming". Skyrim, by contrast, has streamlined most of the features that made its predecessors great, and plays more like GTA than Daggerfall. Many of us see this as a sign that the genre is in decline, rather than taking off.

I think this may be one of the big variables that dictates which way people vote in this poll. Longtime TES gamers will remember how Morrowind essentially took all the best parts of Daggerfall, improved pretty much every mechanic, and revolutionized the concept of "sandbox gaming". Skyrim, by contrast, has streamlined most of the features that made its predecessors great, and plays more like GTA than Daggerfall. Many of us see this as a sign that the genre is in decline, rather than taking off.

This is true of me as well. Who knows? Maybe we're seeing the birth of a new type of RPG? Maybe the next TES game will take the positive elements of this one and improve it with a truly immersive and individualized experience? Maybe the simplification is a precursor to new forms of showing character development that don't require menus stats and endless customization?

I mean, I doubt it, but I don't want to appear too pessimistic. :whistling: