Can we get a Save Game ghetto?

calyps

TBH, I don't really see a need to single out savegames. We all have categories which we're interested more, and categories which we're interested less in.

I think the way that doesn't insult anyone would be to basically have a sort of a configurable filter of what categories one wants to see on the front page.

I guess it could work by tags too, theoretically, but as was already said, not all people set tags. I'm guilty of occasionally forgetting that part myself.

Coincidentally I just so happened to set some tags, and remove some unfitting ones set by others, from "all" my uploads yesterday.

I must admit I can very well see why so few people are even considering to use this. Even I as the mods' creator had a really hard time figuring out which tags apply at all. You can't even grasp the meaning of most of them. Or maybe that was just me, but I always considered myself to be pretty tech-savvy. For example, if it's only a video I did showcasing something I was working on, should the tags represent it's a video only, or should the tags aim at the content that's shown (new race, poses, new textures, animations... all tags I've found given by others already... I didn't touch'em, but I still think they're wrong... for only a video... no?), which definitely isn't in the "mod" (the file's just a video after all) though?

Additionally there was yet another annoyance for mod authors I stumbled upon. Whenever I click on a tag for my own mod it gets set up to +99, not a bad thing really, as it gives my voice on what content is in my mod more meaning and makes it active right away. But then when I realized it was a mistake and this tag isn't really fitting that well I suddenly had to click rep-down 99 times in succession to get rid of my vote! To make things worse, sometimes it decided to lag even and my clicks weren't registered, or at least I thought that'd be the case as it didn't show a reaction. However, once I click another time my previous click also suddenly got applied and it went down the number of 2 clicks at once. Now, it was unavoidable to end up with -9 rep for the particular tag once all lagging finally distributed my clicks and made them apply. Silly me thought "whatever, I can simply fix it to 0 by pressing rep-up 9 times", but no, pressing rep-up "1" single time already brought me up to +99. Now, desperately wanting to get rid of this tag, I had no other choice than to click rep-down 99 times again... I thought... but no, once I clicked rep-down even once already it was down at -9 again, apparently -9 is a bottom limit or something, don't know. On the already given tags my voice counts exactly as much as anybody else's, but I got "unlimited" reserve of it to rep-up a tag +1 rep by 1 click. But I think to remember that wasn't even always the case, so again it's nothing you can rely on. It is confusing like hell, and that's coming from me, mind you!

So I'm wondering if it always was that way, which would totally explain why so few uploaders even use it, or if it's just due to a current bug stemming from the latest upgrades or something and just needs to be fixed again.

But then we're still left with no explanation whatsoever what's the meaning of the various, mixed and double-meaning, tags there are now. And if I can't make heads or toes of it, I can imagine a huge number of less tech-savvy people will have an even harder time trying it, then just give up.

Uh well, that much for the tags system.

Back on topic, while I don't like the idea of "getting rid of certain types of uploads only because of what they are and that they don't qualify as useful content in one's eyes" ("one's", not anybody else's, mind you!), I can see some advantage in the additional search features or other things "tailored" specifically to the kind of file which it is, should a certain type of files be seperated from the others. I'm pretty much undecided right now whether it'd be a good idea or a bad one. :unsure:

I definitely see the reasoning behind all this.

I myself find it annoying when I'm looking at new content and see myself looking at savegames or even videos. Especially when I know I'd never watch or use them unless I was specifically looking for them (Such as a save character that has completed the mainquest for example).

I've always longed for a feature where I could simply 'untick' a category and never see it again.

So when it shows latest files all categories are checked and one simply has to untick the categories they do not wish to see.

That would be the best solution.

Everyone will see everything by default and those who don't want to see certain categories won't see them should they choose not to.

Not expecting the suggestion to ever happen, just figured I'd throw it into the air as it would benefit all in this topic.

No one will complain about this further.

Heck it will even preemptively silence those who complain about 'adult' mods. (And I've seen a LOT of those complaints in my time)

>Turns back on lurk mode.

@Drake: I see the same +99 and -9 as a moderator. :rolleyes:

There is a site recoding going on right now. I'm not sure if the tags get a revamp or not. I'm not involved in the site code side. But I do suspect they will. Robin is holding off on 'minor' bugs in the current code to concentrate on the new code. :thumbsup:

@Drake: I see the same +99 and -9 as a moderator. :rolleyes:

There is a site recoding going on right now. I'm not sure if the tags get a revamp or not. I'm not involved in the site code side. But I do suspect they will. Robin is holding off on 'minor' bugs in the current code to concentrate on the new code. :thumbsup:

That's understandable. I didn't mean to be complaining or anything. My OS'es throw far worse things at me on a regular basis, and knowing my way around their so-called overrides I always have the last say in any of their matters. But I thought I'd mention it, as the "tags" topic and them being rarely used came up again, and if I am having my trouble with it the way it currently is, I can imagine why so few are using it apparently. :sweat:

I personally would like to keep gamesaves seperate from mods. Regardless of whether you consider them vanity, you can agree that a gamesave... is not a mod... So why should we include them together when I'm just looking for mods?

NEW: hair, playable races, altered descriptions, textures, body types, etc. These are all mods. A guy named carlos with some bogus background I just made up to explain to you why the way he is? This is a game save. I may look for gamesaves myself at one point if I ever felt the need to, but I would really like to see them separated.

Also, just to give you the rest of my definition of a mod, while I may hate the ridiculous amount of Japanese folk lore crap that floods the mod pages, I still do consider those to be mods. I just cannot say the same for gamesaves. Alternative starts = gamesaves unless they actually change the start mission or nullify it in some way ;D