Editing falling snowflake textures to be smaller

45AARP

EDIT: for anyone who finds this later, I didn't fully understand how textures and alpha channels worked at the time, and was only editing the RGB layer and not the alpha layer. The mod drake linked did exactly what I needed, but if anyone wants to do something similar in the future make sure to edit the alpha as well.

I'm trying to get the snowflake textures to be much smaller than they are by default, or by any mod I've found so far (most of them seem to make them even bigger). I had no problem doing this in Skyrim since I recall there being a slider for size or something in the CK, but I can't find any such thing in Oblivion's CK. I tried shrinking snowflake.dds in photoshop but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Edited by slapahotribe23

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get the snowflake textures to be much smaller than they are by default, or by any mod I've found so far (most of them seem to make them even bigger). I had no problem doing this in Skyrim since I recall there being a slider for size or something in the CK, but I can't find any such thing in Oblivion's CK. I tried shrinking snowflake.dds in photoshop but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

I think you should find someone who is experienced about it then asked that question. maybe u can pm. Any person should ever make snowflake mod. if you have other questions you do not need to write here. nobody will respond to your message.

Good luck

Edited by Amirun

Hmm, maybe this mod will do: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/23368/?

I don't know much about the functioning of the weather particle system, but from what I know about the particle systems in general it doesn't surprise me the slightest when making the texture resolution smaller does not have any effect on the particles' size. If I knew which NIF contains the snowflake particles themselves, that would be my first target for investigating about changes in size.

Or if there's a snowflake particle effect inside the Oblivion.ESM, that one's settings would be the very first. These usually contain the setup for the size of each produced particle.

When I don't write in orange I'm usually not acting as a member of staff. I was a mod author long before that, and I was posting here already long before that even, sharing the little knowledge I possess.

I usually don't jump into topics I don't know enough about to give a substantial answer, quite likely the same goes for everyone else frequenting here, but honestly I couldn't let your "if you have other questions you do not need to write here. nobody will respond to your message." just stand like that here, even if it was only a misunderstanding of your words. There's way too many fine folks still patrolling around in here and helping wherever they can with the knowledge they possess. I'm just another one of them.

But you have to keep in mind the number of people frequenting here is far from the same as at the other big games' forum sections, and then they also need to know the answer to the problems brought up to respond. Even if there's 50 active people hanging around here on average per day, how likely is it they know everything that's asked about here? It will take time to get your responses, that comes with the nature of the territory (sp?), but if there's anybody around who knows an answer, or after a longer while at least some pointers into the right direction, you usually always get a reply.

I don't know how helpful this may or may not be --

but the .nif is meshes/sky/snow.nif.

(and the texture it points to is textures/sky/snowflake, but the OP already has that)

I do not know how to adjust the size myself. I'd actually like to know, too, and I hope someone who does know will (eventually) see this and tell how.

I wish I could really help with this, because I too do not like to see Oblivion questions go without responses, and Amirun's saying that "nobody will respond to your message" seemed just too off-putting and chilling to let it it stand for everyone to see who comes by. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted his words or intent behind them, but I think people should not be made to feel that they can't or shouldn't ask their questions here.

This question was post on March 21 and got 20+ views before but no one answered. Just today after I wrote something here then someone emerges to respond. Yeah it takes a bit longer. if I not did that so it still no reply here. glad to see both of you here. Edited by Amirun