1.4 RUINED my game

SubjectProphet

@ Lutine

I'm not familiar with CCleaner so I can't comment. Of course programs exist to do these things. But not all are trustworthy and not all use these programs.

My explanation is the official way of trying to fix a problem. :thumbsup: (except driversweeper)

But if one has a program that suits your needs go for it.

For the record not attacking you just commenting :smile:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Lutine

I'm not familiar with CCleaner so I can't comment. Of course programs exist to do these things. But not all are trustworthy and not all use these programs.

My explanation is the official way of trying to fix a problem. :thumbsup: (except driversweeper)

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

At the moment, it's the best freeware cleaner available out there. I was actually surprised when EA support brought it up during a support conversation.

Manual works just as well, I suppose, but only if somebody has experience working with the registry and isn't just lazy. :P

@ Lutine

Guadianl, kudos for your aide but I'm concerned with the TCs' statement..."If someone can also help me find the specs to a computer, as I have literally never looked for that before, that would be a great help.", he'll need close guidance or better yet, a tutorial. My gut feeling is that he's not far enough along technically to be rooting around in the registry. Maybe the Revo Uninstaller could assist this endeavor since it has options to delete a program and its' registry entries.

using the 1.3 patch i could run skyrim somewhere higher than very high & lower than ultra with no real issues. when i was upgraded with 1.4 i had to drop my graphics settings to very high just to be able to control my character in combat. @ very high the fps drop is noticeable but workable, unlike higher settings. and i seem to be having issues with my PC turning itself off when playing skyrim for around half an hour or so, didn't have that before 1.4.

i am using a few mods. mainly graphics\shader tweaks, texture improvements, skse, and crafting mods, oh and cowardly horses is a must, I got sick of killing my own horses because they were being stupid. guess i'll just have to wait till those mods release updates to see if that's it, however i could be having system issues too. I hope not.

OP said he stores Skyrim on an older PC and Runs Skyrim from that PC on both his laptop and desktop

He goes on to say that only his Steam games run poorly.

OP's data point on how good his PC is was about storage size.

OP purchased Alienware, which is a rebranded Dell XPS - not a bad PC, but he paid an awful lot for lights.

Nothing wrong with it, but OP is a novice but actively self-teaching computer user.

My guess is

1) Computer where Skyrim is stored is being used as a home-made NAS

2) The instructions for transferring the Steam games folder are everywhere and easy

3) At some point in the past, OP transferred his Steam folder to avoid duplicating multigig storage on both his laptop and PC

4) At that time, OP was actively playing a game that would fit into RAM on the Alienware so didn't see the performance hit and didn't connect the two.

Solution:

Move your Steam games back to your PC. People buy internal SSD hard drives at $100 for only 40gigs to get maximum thoroughput for disk reads with high end games. You're trying to read the same thing through your network connection. Even if it worked sometimes, anyone who started watching Netflix on your network would stutter the heck out of your game.

This.

OP purchased Alienware, which is a rebranded Dell XPS - not a bad PC, but he paid an awful lot for lights.

And this.

Anyone who started watching Netflix on your network would stutter the heck out of your game.

Lights. Made me laugh out loud.. And network throughput? "Hey dude, my Skyrim is stuttering, can you pr0n later???"