Protection from Electromagnetic Pulse

WizardOfAtlantis

Wild Example: Imagine the boost that your e-library would give you

Your brain needs no external power supply or being plugged into a monitor. Learn some fundamentals about science, biology, physics, and chemistry, and you can have quite a bit larger boost because you may actually understand how things work. You don't even need to know all that much, just some information about building structures, finding food, making clean water, generating energy/fuel. If the world gets a hard crash, an ebook on nuclear physics won't help you much even if you understand the terms and fundimentals.

No, nothing that exaggerated (nuclear physics and "such"). The basic needs/survival knowledge I am all right on. The fundamentals of the others I've studied, too (though info on practical uses would be useful, to say the least) though that was a while ago. But you know, there are RL limits on how much you can study all of this stuff in the here-and-now. For example, I'd like to know better how all types of engines work, from gas generators to cars, to solar panels....energy generation like you said. Not general theory, but taking it apart and sticking it back together, plus parts exchanging. I know where that puzzle piece fits in, but the time to study it all is another matter.

For ex, I've seen DIY solar panels for heating water. Has anyone found DIY plans for panels for creating electricity? Or something similar? Are we still "stuck" on that one? I know developments are "right around the corner" in reducing cost, change of form (liquids, living cells, etc), and therefore availability but the here and now would be useful. I for one don't like being tied to the grid...especially in a country like Italy where they can retroactivate new taxes so that you can get bills for the electricity of last year that you have already paid for. (no joke).

Anyone here ever made their own power source? Biomass, hydrogen...anything?

edit: I should point out what I mean by DIY solar for electricity: obviously there's a need for the panel itself, but those can sometimes be found used or *slightly* defective at a cheaper price, then it's a question of your own wiring, controls, car batteries lined up, etc etc.

Edited by WizardOfAtlantis