Frost mod question, traders,

edgarina

Hi,

I'm playing Frost on survival and loving it. I heard rumours of an underground friendly settlement with traders but I have been all over and hit all the metro's I can remember and found nothing. I'm level 27 now and have about 5 of the legendary items around.

For some reason I couldn't manage to find/use the underground save from the U-tube clips so started from the vault and just ran to museum of freedom to get inside and find a gas mask. Took a while to recover from all the rads as you can imagine. I found the one above grounds trader but he sells squat.

I don't think I've ended up where you are supposed to start from in the u-tube clips yet, but who knows ive been all over.

I know its a spoiler and I did, try but where are the traders?

I haven't tried, can you actually start a settlement and get people to come to it?

Is there a Frost specific forum anywhere?

Last comment is BOTTLES, with purified water being almost the most precious thing just finding enough bottles can be hard. This just doesn't make sense to me. I tried with the bottle recyling mod 'waste not want not' I think and although it works purified water ends up as a radaway compound with no downside to spoils the game so deleted it. SURELY bottles that are used can be kept as empties in the inventory.....

Thanks for any help

Are you using the latest version, 0.3? The required save files for FROST are right there on the download page. Sorta hard to miss them.You need to follow the install instructions TO THE LETTER. Starting out in any other manner as you did has the potential to be game breaking, but your mileage may vary. Seriously, go back and re-read the mod description. Thoroughly. A lot of what you are asking is clearly explained there. It might seem like a wall of text to go through, but you will get much more out of the mod if you abide by the advice and instructions posted there.

I know its a spoiler and I did, try but where are the traders?

As for the underground traders, yes there is one friendly “oasis” underground but it can be tricky to find. I can never remember how I got there and usually get lost in the tunnels but it is there. Without giving away spoilers, if you had started the game from the provided save file and chose the tunnel start, it would not be hard to find. I will tell you you’ll need one, maybe two keys to gain access that you’ll have to explore to find.

I haven't tried, can you actually start a settlement and get people to come to it?

Settlement building has been nerfed, as it’s really not the point of this mod. In order to gain control of a settlement you will in most cases have to kill the people already living there. In order to build a recruiting beacon, you now need level two of the Local Leader perk and that has been moved to level 10 of the Charisma tree. The goal of FROST is to stay alive, not build settlements. The main problem is that the crop farming system is bugged. You can not plant and harvest crops as you can in the vanilla game. It’s a nuclear winter, remember. The only crops you are supposed to be able to harvest are brain fungus and glowing fungus. But, they are bugged and you can’t assign settlers to them. The mod author has indicated they will be removed in the next version. That being said, there is ONE settlement that I have found where you can gain access to it by just showing up and not having to kill anyone., The settlers already there will farm the crops (carrots I think) that are already planted there.

Also, as of v.03 the Lone Wanderer perk has been changed to offer some significant bonuses if you DON’T control any settlements. That leaves you with a choice to make and will determine the course of your game.

Is there a Frost specific forum anywhere?

Um...again, have you read the mod page? There are over 3500 posts in the comments, and there are links to both the FROST reddit and Dischord pages. The reddit page is a good resource and naugrim is pretty active there, so that would be the best place to start after the mod comments section.

As for finding bottles, again….read the mod description (the heading under Scaricty) and think about likely places to find such items...where would you logically think there would be a lot of bottles? A brewery perhaps? Lots of chems? Ammo? If you expect to just find all this stuff lying about, you miss the point of the mod.

I would recommend against using survival mode changing mods like the one you mentioned for the main fact that FROST makes some pretty major game play changes that can break those mods. There is a rather comprehensive list of mods recommend by the author on the mod page. Personally, I use Survival Options mainly to sleep for more than a few hours in a sleeping bag but it needs to be below FROST in the load order to work properly. Beyond that, any mods that make changes to leveled lists and the like are likely going to have problems with FROST.

So go back, re-read the install instructions, checkout the reddit and other resources and have fun. But don’t forget to just LET GO. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the understanding reply,

I am a gamer but pretty old, for a gamer anyway, and really not good with other computer stuff, frankly its a Miracle I managed to get the mod working at all, when it says extract 'x' files to 'y' destination i'm like Doh.....I read the page carefully several times, its more understanding a few bits of it.

Yea I didn't really want to build a settlement but just wondered. I only downloaded a couple of weeks ago so assume i'm on V3.0. I have now found the files tab and will try and do the tunnel start.

I know about looking for bottles in the breweries etc and have cleared out one of them already, it just doesn't sit comfortably common sense wise that you lose every bottle you use....

Will try and sort the intended save now and having played a bit might tweak a few choices of perks/stats.

You're never to old to be a gamer! Hell, I'm 50 and I make mods for this silly game. :geek:

If you're not into settlement building (which personally I'm not and one of the reasons I like FROST so much) there are lots of good player home mods that fit into it well which make good bases. Basement Living is a fave, but still requires some level of workshop mode building.

<shamless plug>

I created a couple of my player home mods with FROST in mind.

</shameless plug>

Glad to hear you found the save files. If you run into any trouble getting the save file to work, let me know.