Cut content question?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on releasing a mod (or two) that restores some cut content from the game, nothing big and certainly nothing to get excited about; just something that I think others might like to use.

However, before I do this I wanted to ask what (if any) ramifications there are for doing this. I'm guessing that the assets have to be slightly modified first so as not to be in breach of Bethesda's rules regarding distribution of (vanilla) assets (even if said assets don't actually appear in the vanilla game)

To be clear, I've no problem with slightly altering assets, as that's what I'm expecting... Just looking to be informed beforehand.

Thanks in advance,

AGW

Edited by AGreatWeight

Well, if you don't need to change the graphical assets, you also don't need to repackage and rerelease them. Just use what's there.

There are plenty of "cut content" mods out there. I've never heard of a Bethesda legal stink over any of them. The bigger problem tends to be using the assets of other modders without permission.

Not only cut content, but nifs that aren't even in the game itself but are packed in the esp's for the game and dlc, found a few of those. Getting the cut content to work, you have to make changes, so your really not using defaults anyhow (i.e. like cut dialog and scenes) without your changes those objects wouldn't function, so technically, your not distributing default assets. Even taking and making a non-craftable item into a craftable item isn't a vanilla asset.

I'm sure its more to the point of "you can not take a vanilla object from DLC 2 and include it in a mod for DLC 1 without requiring DLC 2", I've seen mods get pulled because of that, but never because of any of the other stuff.

If the cut content is within the vanilla Fallout 4 BA2 archives, I would consider them modder's resources. Otherwise, Bethesda would not have left them in there for you to play with.

Yeah, it's nothing to do with the DLC's (I haven't looked in them yet for cut content) although there is something I'd like to add to The Commonwealth from Far Harbour, so having that DLC will be a requirement of that particular mod.

The mod I'm referring to in this thread is content that is in the vanilla BA2 archives. I may end up tweaking it a little anyway, not sure yet. I'd not seen this issue crop up in discussion before, so thought it pertinent to ask someone more knowledgeable to clarify. Thanks guys!

p.s. steve40, nice member title haha :)

Not an expert by any means, but I believe they are more concerned with porting things from other beth games then anything currently in the game (even if not used currently). Example: no porting cats from skyrim to fallout 4. As far as I have seen there has been no issues with using anything already in the game.