[LE] How to texture models

i want to paint a texture directly on the model in question so i can see where im painting and how the model looks with it so im not going back and forth between programs.

i can't use blender for texturing skyrim files that were directly imported from the game for some reason and gimp only lets me see te texture making it harder for me to make a good texture for the model

Edited by Shadowthekid

The only program I am aware of that allows you to paint directly on a mesh is Substance Painter. Be aware that it cannot work with .nif's. You have to first export it into a compatible mesh format that Painter can read. One final point of note, Painter isn't cheap. It's available on Steam for $150, or you can get the complete substance indie developer package for $300. It does periodically go on sale.

Blender is perfectly suitable for texture painting, though I do prefer Substance Painter (1 or 2). Other programs I can think of are Mudbox, ZBrush and, if you have money figuratively dripping from your pockets, Mari(?).

But any way you choose, you'll need to get the model into a format the programs can read. All of them will read Wavefront .obj, which for this would normally be enough, and most will read things like Collada .dae and Autodesk .fbx. Nifskope can export .obj, and old versions could even do .fbx.

Blender is perfectly suitable for texture painting, though I do prefer Substance Painter (1 or 2). Other programs I can think of are Mudbox, ZBrush and, if you have money figuratively dripping from your pockets, Mari(?).

But any way you choose, you'll need to get the model into a format the programs can read. All of them will read Wavefront .obj, which for this would normally be enough, and most will read things like Collada .dae and Autodesk .fbx. Nifskope can export .obj, and old versions could even do .fbx.

problem with those its that they cost money or want me to sign up for them anything else?

thx to nif skope i can easily import nif files and export them to the creation kit.

Edited by Shadowthekid

problem with those its that they cost money or want me to sign up for them anything else?

That's what Blender is for, it's free and really quite capable. You can even get it through Steam.

thx to nif skope i can easily import nif files and export them to the creation kit.

What?

One thing to note, if you are a college student you can get a free 1-year license for Substance Painter and Substance Designer, renewable for as long as you are in college (just need to show them proof that you are actively enrolled). They also have a "Subscribe to Own" model, where you pay $20/month, and get $20 in "accumulated Payments", that can be used to buy their software once you have enough. Probably not what you want, but if you lets you try it out a little longer then the initial 1 month trial without committing to the full price.

That's what Blender is for, it's free and really quite capable. You can even get it through Steam.

What?

-i get the model then using nifskope make it a 3ds or obj then export it to blender

-after that i can export it back to nif skope where i turn the new edited file into a nif file.

-then i can export that new nif file to the creation kit

Edited by Shadowthekid

One thing to note, if you are a college student you can get a free 1-year license for Substance Painter and Substance Designer, renewable for as long as you are in college (just need to show them proof that you are actively enrolled). They also have a "Subscribe to Own" model, where you pay $20/month, and get $20 in "accumulated Payments", that can be used to buy their software once you have enough. Probably not what you want, but if you lets you try it out a little longer then the initial 1 month trial without committing to the full price.

the program has to be free i don't care if its hard to use or isn't as good as others as long as i can make somewhat nice textures for skyrim models i'll be happy.