New to Skyrim. Mage Question

stormexdante

Hi,

I just purchased Skyrim a few weeks ago and I am finally going to start playing it. Yes, i know I am late, I have been looking forward to it for a long ass time, but I had to wait until I finally built my PC. I wouldn't play it on any other platform until I finished my computer, so now that it is done, i can finally start playing. I know a bit about the game already, as I have watched a few playthroughs on it but I still have a few questions

Anyways, I had a question for anyone has been a Mage in skyrim. I know that I want to be a mage because the magic system in skyrim is fantastic. I was wondering what kind of armor mages wear. From what I have seen, it looks like the same brown robes for all mages, but that is boring in my opinion. Are there cool Mage-centric robes that I can get? Also, is it possible to wear actual heavy armor and be a mage?

Sorry if these questions are noobish, forgive me. Also, please excuse any grammatical errors, I am typing from my phone.

Thanks,

~Dante

Early game your best bet is enchanted robes. Pretty much all robes are for mages. Later on you would want to use heavy armor.

Your character type evolves over time, so you are never restricted to what kind of armor you want to wear or what kind of combat you want to do. It is completely possible to be a mage with heavy armor, or to be a warrior with assassin armor. If you are just asking what is practical then yes, heavy armor is a good idea.

If you want to be a mage you want to focus a lot of points into pretty much all of the magic trees and heavy armor.

Edited by marharth

So my best bet would be to go for robes. Do all of the robes in the game look identical? Or do they vary? I think for my first playthrough as a mage I am going to stick to pure magic and robes so it would be nice to have a variation. If not, then I can always download mods (which is why I got it on PC and waited for 3 months of agonizing pain :P)

My second runthrough I plan to be a battlemage in which I use a sword and heavy armor with magic secondarily. Thanks for clarifying the skill system Marharth. I love that I can be whatever character that I want :)

Edited by stormexdante

If you're going pure mage, with minimal weapon use, you may want to get a follower to take some of the damage for you. I've heard good things about Marcurio, who's a Destruction mage-- and I've used Stenvar and Belrand quite a bit. Stenvar tanks better, but Belrand seems to be faster. Kharjo is hard to get, but also very much worth it-- he's a lot of fun, and a great archer.

You should be able to snag some decent robes early on, just by looting your enemies. There are only a few different looks so far, but that'll change reallllllly fast this week, I'd bet. All you're really looking for is the right kind of enchantment. Speaking of which, you might also consider putting just enough time into enchantments to make yourself some items-- regenerate magicka is handy for every mage, for instance.

Have fun-- mages are awesome in Skyrim!

Well there is a soft level cap at 50 so you stop getting perk points at 50.

You can level all your skills, but you can't completely master everything. You can only master certain skill trees since you end up running out of perk points at level 50.

As for crafting in general it shouldn't be too hard to completely master them. Take note that whatever perk points you are putting into crafting (such as blacksmith) takes away from other trees.

As for robes, there are quite a few different ones. Consider however that enchanting also works on heavy armor, so enchanted heavy armor is almost always better then just a enchanted robe since armor gives defensive bonuses. Unless the robe enchantment is way better then your armor enchantment, go with enchanted heavy armor.

Okey dokey. I think that I will fit into the robes at first and make the transition into enchanted heavy armor later on. By the time I get a high level, the creation kit would be in full swing and there will probably be more robes and cool looking items for me anyways. Can't wait :)

Thanks so much!

You don't stop getting points to put into perks at any level. I'm level 60 and I still get points when I level up. It's just that, around level 50 all your "major" skills (well there aren't major and minor like in Oblivion but I mean the skills you play with the most) will have reached level 100 and there is no more leveling up for you unless you start using other skills. Also you level up much slower after level 50.