From Frost Elves to Falmer

waxxin

A Fate Worse than Death  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Frost Elves (now Falmer) Deserve their Fate?

• Yes, they Got what was coming, They Reaped what was sewn (law of unintentional consequences be damned)
    • No, Their Ultimate Fate was one worse than Death.
    • The Dweemer were Fate's hand of Justice, while being charitable
    • I have some symapthy for the Falmer (victims of an un-intentional consequence)
    • Skyrim Belongs to the Nords !!!!!!!

How does any of that pertain to those living now? If my great grandfather committed crimes, am I guilty?

Would the would be descendants of those who where there at the night of tears, echo the same sentiment I wonder?

Are you on medication?

Nope.....but...are you so much that...

Have you forgotten history

...elf lover?

Maybe I am an elf.

So, is that a yes to my first question? Everyone is guilty of their ancestors' crimes?

How does any of that pertain to those living now? If my great grandfather committed crimes, am I guilty?

Would the would be descendants of those who where there at the night of tears, echo the same sentiment I wonder?

Are you on medication?

Nope.....but...are you so much that...

Have you forgotten history

...elf lover?

Maybe I am an elf.

So, is that a yes to my first question? Everyone is guilty of their ancestors' crimes?

No they aren't but its not like the Falmer repented, as they still kill all non-Falmer peoples on sight.

I would appreciate a DLC that gives us considerably more context on this (perhaps using the Elder Scroll to go back in time and witness how things happened between the Dwemer and the Snow Elves, thus also giving us a chance of seeing both races in their full glory).

What I don't understand is WHY did the Dwemer do this to the Snow Elves? I mean think about it, the Snow Elves were beaten by the Nords, driven from their homes into the arms of the Dwemer. How much of a threat could they be to the Dwemer then? I find it unnecessary for the Dwemer to have done this, considering the amount of power their civilization had I would imagine they could have enslaved the Snow Elves without something like this and let's be honest, who wants those Falmer monstrosities around anyway?

Maybe the Dwemer did NOT have an advanced civilization at that time though. Maybe the Snow Elves were considerably stronger or were imposing their own culture/beliefs upon the Dwemer or were a threat in some way. Who knows, maybe we could find out in a DLC that the Dwemer actually started becoming the power they ultimately were by learning FROM the Snow Elves?

In any case, one thing is clear from the Falmer history: DON'T MESS WITH THE NORDS!

Hence I voted SKYRIM FOR THE NORDS! (awesome voting option, ty for that)

For some reason I am starting to think this has Tolkein influences. In the Early Ages, as recorded in the Silmarillion, there was a great battle where Morgoth, the Dark Lord of the North (Sauron's Master and Mentor for the uninitiated) unleashed his forces upon the Elves who had built numerous forts surrounding the arid wastelands around Thangorodrim the original dark tower. Anyway he sent dragons, troll, balrogs (yes he's got an army of balrogs, and the elves back then were more bad ass than legolas, as they take on balrogs one on one with swords and shields), and the Elven forts burned. Not all Elves had power to face balrogs, only their kings and champions, and there were too many of them, so the fled, some into Nargothrond and Menegroth, underground cities of Elves. Many elves were taken in, and in time they were corrupting the others in Nargothrond to follow their ways and clamored for open war.

I'm thinking if the Tolkein inference went that far, it may be that the Snow Elves, under the care of the Dwemer, became numerous again, and civiilized as they were able to even build their great statue, and were swaying many Dwemer peoples to go to war with the Nords. The leaders of the Dwemer may then have subjugated the Falmer to stop the "nonsense" and as a warning to those who will go against their wills.

What I don't understand is WHY did the Dwemer do this to the Snow Elves? I mean think about it, the Snow Elves were beaten by the Nords, driven from their homes into the arms of the Dwemer. How much of a threat could they be to the Dwemer then? I find it unnecessary for the Dwemer to have done this, considering the amount of power their civilization had I would imagine they could have enslaved the Snow Elves without something like this and let's be honest, who wants those Falmer monstrosities around anyway?
Um... Why ppl enslave other ppl? Well, cuz they want their stuff done, and dont want to pay too much for get it done.

Why "devolve" them into the falmer? Cuz they wanted to make them dependant on the Dwemer. The dwemer supplied the food that mutated them, falmer changed and were made dependent on what the Dwemer supplied them.

Ultimately, there may have been a sadistic nature in the Dwemer that we didnt knew before. After all, all those torture machines that you find in the Dwemer ruins? Well, those were made for using on the falmer.

They were kinda prisoners of war, even if it wasnt a Dwemer's war.

The falmer escaped slavery by the hands of the Nords, to end in slavery by the hands of the Dwemer. That said, at least the Dwemer slaves survived, the nords "spent" all their snow elves in Windhelm's construction (and possibly in the construction other famous Companion's barrows).

Maybe the Dwemer did NOT have an advanced civilization at that time though.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Merethic_Era Read both late merethic era and late middle merethic era. It suggests that the Dwemer already were capable of building their massive cities underground by the time that Ysgramor made the journey to Skyrim. Not counting that by 700 1E the Dwemer were already gone from existence and that the elves are very particular in the sense that, when they started to "exist" into normal timeline, they were already "pre civilized", since it seems that Aldmeris never existed at all, and that is a recollection of memories of the Dawn era. So its safe to asume that the elven ppl were already the most technological advanced race in all Tamriel when they arrived there (or started to exist there). Not long after, they disseminated into the mainlands and beyond, so all elven races pretty much developed their cultural differences and technology all at the same time. Edited by eltucu

I also tend to subscribe to the idea that there was some sort of power struggle between the Falmer and the Dwemer during the formers coresidence with the latter. We know the Falmer were aggressive and militaristic, while the Dwemer were highly insular. That said, there is also little to no indication that the Dwemer were malicious in any way. Cautious and prone to making preperations in case of betrayl, but they did not seem to initiate conflict in any of the cases where major conflict with the Dwemer arose.

The treatment of the Falmer is highly out of character for what we know of the Dwemer through written sources, as well as conversations with the leadin experts on the Dwemer. Divayth Fyr, for instance, depicts them as driven by absolute logic and possessing an unmeasureable acceptance of those who think like them, so much that he actually refers to them as a 7th Great House of Morrowind rather than a distinct race.

The whole mess with the Falmer is, in my opinion, just a crap-tastic attempt by the writers to make the Dwemer less attractive. They were the most popular race starting with Morrowind, and people have cried to have them playable for at least a decade now. This all reaks of trying to turn them into some kind of race of evil mad scientists. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit with anything else we know, and tossing some 'torture' implements in doesn't change the fact that they didn't even remove the old information. For all we know all these 'torture tables' could just be disection and enbalming tables which have been repurposed by the Falmer.

Do i think the Falmer got what was comming to them? I don't know. We still have far too many gaps in the story to make a judgement. They certianly paid for their stupidity when they tried to wipe out the Humans. Assuming they tried to lead a coup over the Dwemer, they also paid for that. They just seem to have really bad decision making skills.

I did not hear about what happend to the Falmer till talking to a mage in winterhold. (I am sure you know the one)

Since then I have killed the Falmer with slight sadness.

Does no one feel sadness for the forsworn? Thier lands taken from them by the Nords!

I fight for the empire! the Nords are just as bad!!