Armour rating

ProjectVRD

My Heavy Armor skill is now 100, and I have been concentrating on that with the perks as well, so I have all bonuses in the Heavy Armor perk tree... but with Ebony Armor my Armor rating in the Items menu is 691, is that right or should it be higher? I haven't added any enchantments boosting my the rating further but it seems to be not much better than Glass Armor which is Light.

Well first of all apparently the damage reduction from armor is capped and you can reach the max at about 580 armor rating or so.

Secondly the perk system is such that it can let you achieve this both with light and heavy armor easily if you invest perks in the respective skills.

Thus if you have points in Light Armor as well as Heavy Armor you'll notice there won't be much of a difference. What you should do, to optimize your build, is focus either on Heavy OR on Light armor and not use the other type at all.

The difference between the 2 is that Heavy Armor starts off being better to use than Light Armor, but is obviously heavier. However, if you manage to focus on Light Armor instead you'll have considerably more carrying power in the beginning. At higher levels, though, you can basically achieve the same thing with both types of armor through perks (each has a perk that makes the armor weightless and Light Armor becomes as powerful as heavy armor once all perks are invested).

Personally I prefer Light Armor, it's harder to use at the start of a new game but you have the DB armor early on to help you and the added carrying power more than makes up for the added difficulty.

Light armor is better for evading early on. Depends really on how you play your character, but for an assassin type character, its better to use light armor since heavy armor will be making noise and breaking sneak, not to mention that you are slower in heavy armor before you level it up to around 80 skill to get the perk that makes it weigh nothing. Even with the muffle perk, heavy armor still makes more noise than light armor, enough to be sneak breaking. Those are the main differences. In defense however with the right potions and items will both allow the items to reach armor cap of 580. Any point higher than this is well "pointless" since it won't increase your defense anymore.

so my 1107 defense has about 527 useless points? why did i waste those ebony ingots? :wallbash:

This'll annoy you, why did you waste those coins paying for them lol... that is what I thought when I read it haha

I think it comes down to Role Playing and looks. If you like the look of a particular armor, it is possible to max it out. I think the most efficient is steel plate... You can max it out with only two perk points spent, and either potions or enchantments. Hell, you can max out leather armor if you use the restoration potion exploit.

Personally I love the ebony for its looks. I also have dragonplate but I don't want to look like I fell out of WoW.