keeping settlers out of my house

Wieser1955

I have tried every lock made and concreet walls but they are still getting in ..Please help

Sadly, there is no answer. I had one mod that I thought would do " it " ... a Key Card Lock Mod, but even Dogmeat can open that door as well as the Cows, Settlers and Robots and Raiders and Mutants..... and I was the only 1 that had the Key Card!

One of the more 'strange' things is, I have Settlers on the roofs of Sanctuary. I destroy all the houses and build new ones from the ground up.

I was trying to find the new settlers so I could assign them Jobs & Beds and could NOT find them! Until I saw 2 or 3 up on the roofs. So I built some stairs that allow them to at least get up and down logically.

For me, what I did is I moved out of Sanctuary and made the Red Rocket MY HOME BASE. It's closed to the public, accept by invitation only. Only 1 bed, mine and 1 for Dogmeat and NO Settlement Signal.

its the sandbox that does this, the workshop wasn't too thought out for making restricted areas the settlers can't enter far as I can see. Though with some trickery a mod author may be able to get it to work.

the sandboxes function in two methods,

1. the settlers can wander around in a marked area, this area is basically a invisible box that is setup to the workbench as a sandbox area for the settlers to wander within in the settlement, there can however only be one of these sandboxes linked to the workshop, so mod authors can not make unique pathed sandbox areas the settlers can go into.
  2. if there is no sandbox object, the settlement then uses the map maker as the default 'wander' area for external settlements, not sure about internal. The mapmarkers have a radius setting to them, and the wander distance for the settlers is based of the raduis of the map marker. again this is a singular area they can wander.

NPC's when the cell they are loaded into can appear anywhere within the sandbox they are linked to (including behind locked doors) unless they are linked directly to a patrol path, and then they will be somewhere on their patrol path depending on the time of day.

The reason I think mod authors may be able to get a area set as restricted is that there is a way to setup a secondary sandbox area as 'restricted' though I do not know if this would keep the settlers out (haven't tried) though it does seem to keep normal npc's out until its not restricted. A Mod author may be able to create a craftable version of a sandbox with the 'restricted' settings that range for a full 24 hours, but they would also need to make it so that could be removed.

The hard part about that is making it so that its large enough you don't need to add tons of multiples, and small enough that it wouldn't interfere with other areas when placed.

Then you have the DLC Cages for trapping critters and npcs - one thing that I have noted about these, is that a settler will NEVER spawn inside one of the cages. Perhaps someone can figure out what blocks the settlers from spawning inside those and make some craftable areas that mimic that effect.

The problem is that NPCs can teleport short distances to reach items they want to sandbox with. So walls, locks, even lack of navmesh doesn't stop them.

I put this to the ' test ' - No I did not doubt your post as it is 100% spot on.

In Sanctuary, I created a BOX - Top - Bottom - and four sides. No way to enter and no way to exit, except to remove a wall in Workshop Mode.

I waited 24 hours in game time .... went to the " The Box " and sure enough there were 3 people in it! I just laughed.

The Box was stationed in front of the Sole Survivor's old home, so it was easily seen. Too funny and sad.

I am not sure they were going to get out. I should have waited to see just how many settlers would fit into that box????

.. Jj ...

The problem is that NPCs can teleport short distances to reach items they want to sandbox with. So walls, locks, even lack of navmesh doesn't stop them.

I put this to the ' test ' - No I did not doubt your post as it is 100% spot on.

In Sanctuary, I created a BOX - Top - Bottom - and four sides. No way to enter and no way to exit, except to remove a wall in Workshop Mode.

I waited 24 hours in game time .... went to the " The Box " and sure enough there were 3 people in it! I just laughed.

The Box was stationed in front of the Sole Survivor's old home, so it was easily seen. Too funny and sad.

I am not sure they were going to get out. I should have waited to see just how many settlers would fit into that box????

.. Jj ...

Next time, just seal up a Legendary Deathclaw inside the box. That'll teach those settlers to teleport in where they're not wanted.

.. Jj ...

Next time, just seal up a Legendary Deathclaw inside the box. That'll teach those settlers to teleport in where they're not wanted.

Sorry for the delay on this, health challenges in R.L.

Thanks! I need this. It literally made me Laugh Out Loud. I'm glad that I had just swallowed my coffee. ;)

I decided a Part II was required for " The Box ". I have the mod, Place Anywhere and so .....

I made " The Box - Part II " and put it about 10 feet in mid air in front of the S.S. original home. Basically just about " level " with the top of the roof line of the house. Again NO doors, NO windows and the only way for anyone to realistically ' get in or out ' is to be in Workshop Mode and remove a wall.

Yup, about 24 in game hours there were 3 people in " The Box Part II ". It was truly amazing.

Yes, I think I'm going to make " The Box Part 3 " and try your Deathclaw idea ..... Stay tuned.

.. Jj ....

..... I'm still laughing a bit, thanks!!!

How about using a 'bug' to your advantage? Use a building mod without a navmesh. They shouldn't be able to enter at all.

That doesn't work either.

Edited to add: Unless it's an interior cell and that would keep them out anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I use locksmith, in combination with the console "setownership 7" command. While it is not foolproof, it works 90% of the time. One thing I have found with this: Every time I have had a settler sleep in my owned bed or behind a locked door, I get frustrated and shoot them, after about the fifth time it happens--with a finger on the quickload I might add. Every time this has happened, the offender has turned out to be a synth infiltrator. So, my theory is as follows: If there is one particular settler that you keep finding in your bed, behind a locked door, they could be a synth. Shoot them in the head(out of view, with a silent weapon), collect the synth component(s), and dispose of the body. :wink:

It would make sense that an infiltrator would ignore ownership and locks, by virtue of the fact they are indeed infiltrators sent to find and/or steal secrets. I'm not sure if this is actual fact/game mechanic, or if that's just the way it's worked out for me. It may be presumptuous of me to think something in a Bugthesda game would make sense. :wink: