some historical events

sagitel

skyrim is my first ever TES game so i don't know much about the history of tamriel (i know everything that is recorded in skyrim) so if anyone can tell me how events really were i would appreciate it.

1. in the great war it was blackmarsh, hammerfall, elsewyr, morrowind, skyrim and cyrodiil agains summerset isle i guess that makes altmers really over numbered how did they really crushed the empire in war? are they really THAT bad***?

i have a LOT more but this is enough for now

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Great War was really only between the Empire (Cyrodiil, Skyrim, Highrock and Hammerfell) and the Domminion (Summerset, Valenwood and Elswyrr). Morrowind is still a bare shadow if its former power, and Blackmarsh succeeded from the Empire in the years following the Oblivion Crisis, 200 years before Skyrim.

Since the Domminion armies consited mostly of Elves, they had a major experience advantage of the Imperial forces, as most of the Dominion soldiers were veterains of the Oblivion Crisis. The Thalmor also have some of the greatest mages in the world at their disposal. Their greatest advantage, however, was the fact that their attack was, essentially, a surprise one. They pushed into Cyrodiil and Hammerfell at the same time, catching the Empire off guard.

That said, the Domminion did NOT win. Their hope was to apply pressure to Hammerfell, while putting the overwhelming majority of their forces in Cyrdoiil, in a hope to force the Empire to divide its forces, and when the Imperial City fell they would surrender. After fleeing the Imperial City (at the expense of the entire 8th legion) Emperor Titus Mede encouraged the idea that he as going to surrender. This caused the Thalmor to beleive they had won, and they got lazy.

When the Empire counter attacked, during the Battle of the Red Ring (refering to the Ring Road which circles around the Imperial City) the Empire completely slaughtered the Domminion armies in Cyrodiil. Unfortunately, the battle left the Imperial Legions spent, and not a single one was above half strength and several were completely wiped out. Assuming that the Imperial Legions are roughly the same as Roman Legions, it means at best the strongest remaining legion had 3000 men. The Empire didn't have the manpower to launch a counter invasion on the Domminion, and was forced to sue for peace.

The Almeri Dominion = Summerset + Valenwood + Elswyr.

Empire = Skyrim + Cyrodiil + Hammerfell + High Rock

Black Marsh stayed out of the war (independent from Empire), and Morrowing is all but destroyed when the Red Mountain Erupted.

Basically it was Humans vs Elves. It was actually a stalemate. Much of the Thalmor army destroyed, but much of the Cyrodiil's resources including the Imperial Capital was gone as well. In other words, the Elves have an intact country but almost no army left, the Empire has a small army left but they can't support it. They signed a treaty. I personally don't know what the Empire got in exchange but the Elves got to ban Talos worship and capture those who keep on doing so.

Edited by chanchan05

In addition to what's already been said, Hammerfall seceded from the Empire in the wake of the White-Gold Concordat, the treaty that ended the Great War. One of the provisions called for the Empire to relinquish their claim to the territories of southern Hammerfall, which the Redguards took as a slap across the face. Like the American people after the Seven Years' War, the Redguards didn't see why they should pay such a heavy price compared to the other Imperial provinces, which spurred them into rebellion. Fighting on their own against the forces of the Dominion, the Redguards finally managed to drive the elves from their homeland, establishing an independent human kingdom on the borders of both major powers.

In addition to what's already been said, Hammerfall seceded from the Empire in the wake of the White-Gold Concordat, the treaty that ended the Great War. One of the provisions called for the Empire to relinquish their claim to the territories of southern Hammerfall, which the Redguards took as a slap across the face. Like the American people after the Seven Years' War, the Redguards didn't see why they should pay such a heavy price compared to the other Imperial provinces, which spurred them into rebellion. Fighting on their own against the forces of the Dominion, the Redguards finally managed to drive the elves from their homeland, establishing an independent human kingdom on the borders of both major powers.

Mostly true, but ommiting some parts... First being that the core of the Hammerfell force was in fact Legionaries. Second, the contested territories in southren Hammerfell are now uninhabitable. Third, Hammerfell did not drive the Domminion out, but rather fought to a 5 year stalemate which lead to a peace treaty, the terms of which we know nothing about.

Still, that's really all a different war, and thus not related to teh question. The Reach Uprising, for instance happened during the Great War, but can't be argued to be part of it. Both may be included in later questions, mind you.

Edited by Lachdonin

Can I ask your source on this? I can find nothing that states that the territory is now unihabitable.
The book on the Great War describes it as a wasteland. Literally. Doesnt gives more info than that. It kinda looks like a generalization though.

The city or the character?

The city was the capital of the island of Vardenfell, which was its self a holy territory within Morrowind. Vivec was characterised by the massive Cantons, which were in and of themselves great glay or stone towns linked by bridges, within a small bay on southren Vardenfell. The city was the seat of power for the character Vivec, but was destroyed when the Ministry of Truth, also known as Baar Daur crashed into the city after the magic suspending it failed. This caused Red Mountian to errupt, which in turn caused the Red Year.

As for the character Vivec (also known as Vehk) was at one point a Chimer general who fought alongside Nerevar Indoril. Following Nerevar's death, Vivec, Sotha'Sil and Almalexia used the heart of Lorkhan to make themselves into living gods, and they ruled the Dunmer (Who were formerly the Chimer, but were changed by Azura as punishment for the Tribunals -Vivec, Sotha'Sil and Almalexia- betrayal) for the next 4ish thousand years. Sometime after becomming a god, Vivec acheived a state of CHIM, but thats a long lecture in and of its self.

Can I ask your source on this? I can find nothing that states that the territory is now unihabitable.
The book on the Great War describes it as a wasteland. Literally. Doesnt gives more info than that. It kinda looks like a generalization though.

AFAIK it's always been one (a wasteland/desert) - Hammerfell was never a nice place to begin with.

Trying not to hijack your thread OP, just wanted to get clarification. :)